Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny in my '05 ST with less than 45,000 miles is messed up and needs to be replaced.. It has been weird lately, hard to get in and out of gear and making lots of noise and trying to go backwards while in neutral. I took the car to a shop and they said internally the tranny is coming apart and there is metal loose. I thought these trannys were good to over 400whp? i dont get it. i broke an axle and a transmission with only about 250whp! ugh anyway..

They said they found a used one with 24,000 miles that they can put in and including labor it would be $1,600. They said a remanufactured mtx is $3,000 including labor. Should i get the used one or have a transmission place rebuild the one i have? And could i rebuild with heavy duty parts? I dont know much about our transmission.. What do you guys think?

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Ebay man thats where i got my transmission from when mike did the MTX transfer. then just have the shop drop the old trans an put the other one in.

·
Registered
941 Posts
there is one here by me for 450. 1600 is sorta out there if you ask me

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
have tom do it

done

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
^^what he said....i dont get why this is even a topic? just take it in and get a new one....you are under both limitations. that is the whole point of that warranty...to cover this type of thing. even if u bought it used, it is fully transferrable. even my premium care was transferred to me (you know, the extended warranty). i have gone over all this with my dealer, and all that stuff is covered. lots of car insurances cover this too.

i dont want you to spend money when you dont have to at all...

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
^^^ I could see them trying to weasel their way out because of the turbo, but thats worth a shot.

also, if Toms offering go for it!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea I think the turbo may have voided the warrenty even if it is on the tranny...give your dealer a call first, and if they say no, then give Tom a call.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, didnt know the turbo was there, but still...they would have to show that it contributed directly to the failure. i wouldn't even call. id go in, and have them look at it. just see what they say. dont even bring up the turbo issue. they may not even realize it, lol. (sad, but true).

just don't give them the option of putting it on the turbo; make them think of that. then, if they do, call ford customer care. argue all you can. thats a ton of money. i would fight to the end, personally.

also, contact mike at hilbish...see if he can give you any tips/things to say.

i dont want you to have to pay for this!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i called the dealership and they said its not covered because i bought it used. they said the warranty applies to the originial owner. i could transfer the warranty, but then i would already have a preexisting condition.. so that route im screwed..

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i talked to a transmission shop. they said 550-650 for labor including swapping differentials (so i can keep my torsen). ill probably go with them unless i get a great deal with tom. now i need a transmission..

i wish i could find one out of a 2003-2004 2.3 duratec with 3.41 gears... anyone know where to find one?

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
550 to 650 isnt bad with installing the diff as well if they will honor it once you take it there , I charge 475 to install a trans and 250 to install and properly set up the diff

Tom

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah thats what i was thinking. thanks though tom!

i just bought a transmission off of ebay for the 2003-2004 2.3 pzev with 36,000 miles and a 3 month warranty. cant wait to get one in there with 3.41 gears! :) $543 including shipping isnt too bad

hopefully within 2 weeks the car will be back on the road better than ever!

will i need to recalibrate the ecu for the change in gears?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
thats a good install price from Tom. problem with transmissions is that they often run at insane book times, like 20 hours, etc.

you never had your warranty transferred? you would have had to pay 50 bucks. thats what i did...had both transferred. damn, that sucks man.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
do this...go in, pay to transfer the warranty. then go to another dealership. bring it in, have them look at it, and then when they see the issue, say, well sweet, good thing i transferred my warranty!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i wish i had transferred but oh well. live and learn.

im just ready for the other tranny to come in so i can get it installed!

the shop that was gonna charge $1600 was charging about $800 for tranny and $800 for installation..

now im getting a tranny for $543 and installation will be 550-650.. cant wait :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts