Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car threw its belt today gonna do a new setup on it, but just have a question do you need the specialty tools to do it or is it possible to do it without, how can you tell if the cams are in the right posistions when u place the bar to hold them in place? my main problem im seeing with every write up i have seen there all about the belt getting replaced, but not one about if it gets broken

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The purpose of the tools is to hold the cams and the crank in the exact position the need to be in for syncing them together. I have never done a timing belt on a Zetec so I wouldnt know if there are timing marks or not to go off instead, but I do know that once the bar is in (there is only one way it will fit) the backs of the cams, the cams are in the correct position. The same goes for when the crank is turned up against the pin. Once these are in place you know its correct.

·
Registered
624 Posts
you don't need any special tools but you will need to figure out what to use to hold the cams in place. I use a flat bar I purchased at Lowe's (it fits the slots almost perfectly). You don't need the tool for the crank either. Instead, you can remove the #1 spark plug and use a long extension, or screwdriver, to determine TDC. Just be sure to remove the bar holding the cams before trying to move anything so that you don't break the ends off the cams.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171242

I hope this helps [:)]

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
If the belt broke then it's no problem. Just do the t-belt like you would normally do, all you have to to do is bring the cyl #1 back up to TDC then make sure the cams are lined up (using the tools of course). Just follow the how-to's on here and you should be fine.

oh and I've done quite a few t-belts on SVT and non-SVT zetec's. I could practically do it with my eyes closed lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is an issue my cams seem to sit lower then the pics im seeing on the site

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's most likely because they are 180deg off of where they should be. The slot is offset, it's not centered on the cams.

Get the cams 180deg around and have cyl 1 at TDC and you should be good to go.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
The slot in the end of the cams is CUT OFF SET so that you dont get the cams installed wrong
Turn the cams till they are in the 3-9 clock position again and they will be correct

I use a dial indicator and a file to do the cam gears and TDC

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
omg im such a tard lmao i didnt even notice the cut was offset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i was asking how you know there locations now i know lmao

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Yea don't feel to bad, my first time doing it, I ran into the same problem, until pops came and just turned the timing gear 180 degree's.

I felt stupid too, especially after working on cars for such a long time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
omg im such a tard lmao i didnt even notice the cut was offset.
lol, this had to be quoted [:D]

I just got done changing one of these on a ZX2 tonight. The entire process took about 1.5 hours and required no special tools other than something to align the cams. Be sure to remove whatever you use to hold the cams in place after setting the belt. Don't let this happen to you....

·
Registered
520 Posts
I did that changed the cam. I like the crank pin. The crank likes to mive a little when setting the belt and it make it fool proof to reset the crank. My boss(30 year mech) set the crank first to top dead then I installed the pin he was off 1 tooth. And I installed the pin faster then he set top dead his way.

Last week I did one after neutraling the cams they kept moving when tightining causing the belt to bunch up. I actually put oil on the cam end then the pully it stoped that problem. Also I have my timing tensioner set much looser than the mark to keep the belt on. On mark the belt flies right off. like it's too tight ZETEC's are touchy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts