Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to gap my spark plugs. The very first one the tip broke off gapping it to .065. I was able to close the gap down to .04x. It seems to run fine (I only started it and let it idle for a minute). Should I head right to the dealership (which is close) or am I ok?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would definitely switch it out ASAP. I wouldn't drive it to much until then.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I shouldn't use a coin gap tool huh? I should be fine running 10 miles to the parts store, right? Anybody recommend anything?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll also need a cross reference if anybody has one since our cars aren't in any parts store computers yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
There should be a number on the plug.
Buy it from Ford so that it's the same as the others.
Just in case.
Could you post a picture and number once you have done it please.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Motorcraft part number is 12405 (SP-522). If I can find a cross reference I'll just get all 4. Otherwise I'm stuck until Monday.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nobody has been able to cross reference these yet? I'm sure there's someone who's swapped out their plugs.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Youll be fine. The tip is important but if you made sure that the gap now that the tip is gone is .044 from the base it will jump spark normally.

The factory plug is iridium so be very careful. U have to gap it just right with a coin tool to only pull on the leg not hitting the tip.

Head to ford when you can a grab another one.. their almost 8 a piece tho :( sorry man

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The plug type is CYFS12YP.
Gap 0.9 mm (0.0354 in).
Based on this the only website that comes close to giving me any info is this one. Does this mean it's the same plug as the 2011 5.0?

Even if I do end up just waiting until tomorrow morning to hit up Ford maybe we as a collective can get this cross referenced ourselves so the forum has the knowledge.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
636 Posts
Interesting. That document states that the useful life of the car is 120,000 miles, yet the California emissions model has a life of 150,000. Why would this be?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
418 Posts
You could always use another plug that has the same thread, length and format that is not irridium to tide you over for a while until you can source the correct plug. Make sure that it is resisitve though. Maybe the plugs fitted to the old Focus 2.0 Duratec could fit.
The irridium thing is just to make it last longer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts