Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Guess I should be happy NOT to have that option.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have adjustable either. The spring just broke. Is there a cheap fix or do I need to look for another seat? Just had a 1000 mile round trip for work and it sucked this time. Back was killing me haha

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just realized mine is broke (seat back lumbar area is saggy). I reached inside and pulled the broken piece out. I'm ordering a new one ($14 for the non-adjustable one). I'll try and post some pictures of the install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just realized mine is broke (seat back lumbar area is saggy). I reached inside and pulled the broken piece out. I'm ordering a new one ($14 for the non-adjustable one). I'll try and post some pictures of the install.
Please do. Mine broke not long after i 1st bought the car and was replaced under warranty. It snapped again just before Thanksgiving but of course the car is out of warranty now. I've been looking at just replacing the whole seat. If i can easily replace just the spring i'll do that instead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem, I replaced the spring and the seat is firm again. Took me 20 mins to replace. (given, I have installed lumbar support on the seat and know where the spring hooks were). The spring costed me $24 with shipping

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does the seat cover unzip in the back or is it more complicated than that?
Because of that airbag, I'm just concerned about messing around there when I don't know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It should be much more easy if you take the car seat out completely, there are some elastic clips under the which holds the seat cover tight, it might be hard to reach if you don't know what you are looking for. once you undo the clips just roll the seat cover up to access the spring, you do not need to go all the way up till the airbags. If you are concerned about the airbag just unplug the battery for safety.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got it replaced. I gather I spent 2 hours on it, but it should take about 30 minutes for me next time. I spent about an hour messing with a couple things, and taking my time, inspecting the passenger side to make sure I put everything back together correctly.

I'm still working on uploading the folders, but I'm not sure replacing the $25 part is the right thing to do. I think replacing the broken tang with a more flexible extension spring like https://www.mcmaster.com/9433k57 would be a better choice. I think it is just going to break again, and just hooking another spring up would take about 10 minutes, probably wouldn't break, and would allow you to adjust the tension (by choosing the appropriate spring) to your lumbar liking.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about having it fixed, there is a lot of lumbar support now. Its like cranking up an adjustable lumbar seat from lowest to highest. If your the kind of person that doesn't crank it up, you might want to not bother.

I think replacing the broken tang with a more flexible extension spring like https://www.mcmaster.com/9433k57
would be a better choice. I think it is just going to break again, and just hooking another spring up would take about 10 minutes, probably wouldn't break, and would allow you to adjust the tension (by choosing the appropriate spring) to your lumbar liking.

Broken seat back spring:

New Spring:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did this on my 2012 this afternoon. I did it with the seat in the car, with the seat all the way forward on the tracks. Took about 45 minutes or so.

The tab for the inboard middle (green) hook was missing/broken off, so I used a zip tie through the frame to attach that one.

There are lots of sharp edges on the frame, so you might want a few bandages to prevent bleeding all over everything :)

The seat feels like new again. It's been broken for years, so this is a big improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got it replaced. I gather I spent 2 hours on it, but it should take about 30 minutes for me next time. I spent about an hour messing with a couple things, and taking my time, inspecting the passenger side to make sure I put everything back together correctly.

I'm still working on uploading the folders, but I'm not sure replacing the $25 part is the right thing to do.
Was this ever done/posted, if so where at? I just had this same issue where the lumbar support broke (2015 SE w/ 84K miles)

::Edit:: My firewall seems to have blocked the images. I found the ones of the old/replacement parts. However, anything in regards to removing the seat covers?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry, I tried to dig up my pictures but I got a new phone and seemed to have lost them.
I think if mine breaks again, i'm going to reach in there blindly with my hand. Pull out the broken metal piece and replace it with a zip tie.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts