Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home tonight I was accelerating from a stop and heard a loud pop behind me. My lower back lost its support and I sunk back in to the seat. Now when I press on the soft spot, I hear a click noise every time. Did one of my seat springs break? Has anyone else experienced this with the Focus? [scratch]

·
Registered
613 Posts
On my way home tonight I was accelerating from a stop and heard a loud pop behind me. My lower back lost its support and I sunk back in to the seat. Now when I press on the soft spot, I hear a click noise every time. Did one of my seat springs break? Has anyone else experienced this with the Focus? [scratch]
Exact same thing happened to my '12 SE.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
My seat spring broke in my '12 in about the same fashion yours did. Luckily I was still under warranty.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi Triple_S,

I want to help you feel comfy again. Have you had a chance to visit your dealer about your seat? Please let me know, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 SE and it did the same thing. Happened a couple months back. Never did take it to the dealer to have it checked out.

I've gotten used to the way it is so I don't even notice the support not being there. After reading this I might go get it checked out though. If you felt a lot of support loss that probably means I'll notice a big difference if I get it fixed.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2012 SE and it did the same thing. Happened a couple months back. Never did take it to the dealer to have it checked out.

I've gotten used to the way it is so I don't even notice the support not being there. After reading this I might go get it checked out though. If you felt a lot of support loss that probably means I'll notice a big difference if I get it fixed.
Once you have an appointment, pacmansp, please let me know, along with your mileage. We'll get you back to chasing ghosts again in comfort, . :)

Meagan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is good to know that I am not the only unlucky one, LOL. My guess is that part number 4 on the attached diagram broke. It seems like it could be relatively easy to fix. I could even upgrade to the lumbar support option in the process! Now, does anyone know the trick to getting a seat cover off?

As for mileage, this was my "welcome to 60,000" present [thumbd]

Seat.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a broken seat spring almost from the 1st day i brought the car home with 100 miles on the clock. I had a popping sound under my shoulder blade every time i accelerated.

Took it back after a week, they took it apart tried to stretch the spring. Picked up the car and before i left the parking lot it was popping again. Took it right back and they called me saying the broke the spring off. They ended up having to order the internal parts and i had to bring it back to get it repaired correctly.
This was the parts descrip for the repair:

Removal of drivers seat cover
Install DM5Z-5864417-DA Cover assembly (1) and Osphogring Rings (4)
Install 63100A6B Trim Cover

Thats been since September and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was reaching for my wallet and it popped.
I used it for about two months and felt I had four positive options.
1) just use it broken. I'm a big guy and in all honesty the seat was much more comfortable that way. I felt like I sat deeper in the seat and it accommodates my larger frame better.
2) take it in and get it repaired under warranty. I mean after all it was broken right?
3) find a replacement seat at a junkyard. This was going to be my route had I not gone with the fourth as below. I sourced leather seat replacements for the front that were powered. My car is already pre-wired for them. Using car-part I found them about an hour away at $60 each, but would have had to find the tears somewhere else.
4) I was able to find front and rear ST1 seats for $200 total and went that route. Much better than the stock SE seats and I could see the pictures and the product before I bought them. Unlike the wrecking yard where I would have to drive two hours to see if they were even in mint condition. I think my ST1 seats had less than 10k miles on them and were in mint condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haha thanks Meagan. It will be a couple weeks until I get it in but I will definitely send you a message. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Haha thanks Meagan. It will be a couple weeks until I get it in but I will definitely send you a message. Thanks for your help!
Sounds like a pan! I'll keep an eye out for it. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had what is likely the same spring break on mine about a week ago. I hadn't noticed any difference or noise, but a jagged metal wire was poking out the back of the seatback upholstery. It made a hole in the knee of my daughter's pants.

It was pretty easy to reach underneath from the back to detach the two elastic straps that fasten the bottom of the seatback to the seat frame. I could then reach in with a pair of diagonal cutters and clip off the offending spring.

I don't notice any difference in comfort, so I'll probably leave it at that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,456 Posts
Thats 3 so far in this thread...Haven't heard or seen her or anyone from Ford for a long time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was reaching for my wallet and it popped.
I used it for about two months and felt I had four positive options.
1) just use it broken. I'm a big guy and in all honesty the seat was much more comfortable that way. I felt like I sat deeper in the seat and it accommodates my larger frame better.
2) take it in and get it repaired under warranty. I mean after all it was broken right?
3) find a replacement seat at a junkyard. This was going to be my route had I not gone with the fourth as below. I sourced leather seat replacements for the front that were powered. My car is already pre-wired for them. Using car-part I found them about an hour away at $60 each, but would have had to find the tears somewhere else.
4) I was able to find front and rear ST1 seats for $200 total and went that route. Much better than the stock SE seats and I could see the pictures and the product before I bought them. Unlike the wrecking yard where I would have to drive two hours to see if they were even in mint condition. I think my ST1 seats had less than 10k miles on them and were in mint condition.
How hard was it to install the st seats. Any troubles arise?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
My lumbar support just recently popped as well I had the adjustable one. And it just disappeared lol. I have 85000 miles so they probably won't replace it but I do love the st seats option if it's doable and not a pain in the a$$

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
My lumbar support just recently popped as well I had the adjustable one. And it just disappeared lol. I have 85000 miles so they probably won't replace it but I do love the st seats option if it's doable and not a pain in the a$$

Sent from my LG-H900 using FF Mobile

That's what happened to mine... I remember a loud pop a WHILE ago. No change in comfort or structure, but now the lumbar doesn't seem to lock in place. No big deal to me. [dunno]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah I like the extra lumbar support though I have a long commute to my day job plus I Uber so without it my back starts to hurt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just happened to me as well.. Sat down after work and it just popped and now it pops every time I move.. Its really quite frustrating.. 50,000 miles of course something would break now.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts