Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

So today I ran into a curb and broke the Pass. side motor mount off.
In the pictures you see that the threads on the engine are broken and exposed. I looked underneath the car and it looks like things are ok under there.

My question is, where the threading is that broke off on the engine block itself, is that a replaceable part or am I kinda S.O.L. here?

Any help or options you can think of are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't remember right atm, but it may be a side bolt bracket or part or the timing cover? Hopefully not SOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Smalls89 and IrishBrewer. I think you both are correct. I was able to take out the motor mount part and when i search timing cover I seem to get parts that have the threading to put the mounting bolts back in it.

I attached a new picture with a better view of the damage.

Thank you guys for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just an after thought, for it to do that kind of damage, and not damage the wheel, suspension, or frame, not set of air bags, and assuming no damage to the under side on the engine...

Seems the timing cover wasn't cast correctly and was a major weak link....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't able to assess deeper if there were more issues with steering/wheels etc, i was just like "Welp, the engine is slanted now.... sooooo gotta fix that first". And also had to get to work, which was a mile from when this happened.

I purchased a new (used) timing cover from eBay and it should arrive in a few days (part image attached)

Secondly, is there a gasket that I need to purchase to go between the cover and the engine? Also, removing the just the cover won't mess up or affect the timing chain behind it as long I don't touch any of those internals?

Thanks for y'alls help again. I had no idea where to start when this happened and I appreciate the responses. I'm just a guy with a haynes manual, the internets, and you fine folks [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Please make sure you look up the proper procedure on removing that timing cover. If I remember correctly you have to have a special timing set because when you remove the crankshaft pulley it will let go of the timing chain tension. There are no key ways on that motor and the crankshaft pulley holds it together.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
There should be a gasket for the cover and you might want to replace the crankshaft seal in the cover too while you're doing the work. Those crank pulley bolts can be a handful to remove. I haven't done one on this vehicle but on other's I've had to have a huge breaker bar to get it to break free. For this engine, it looks like you need a good strap wrench to hold the pulley while you remove the bolt with a hefty impact wrench. But as zacatuomotive said, you first need to use several special tools to lock the crank and camshafts in place while you do this. The forum has a link to a factory shop manual so make sure to get and follow that closely to do the work.

·
Registered
180 Posts
this is going to be a fun project, i would budget a day to do this

1. Remove AC compressor belt (needs special tool to ‘walk’ the belt off, or cut it and get a new one)
  2. Remove serpentine belt
  3. Remove crankshaft pulley
  4. Remove timing cover
  5. Install timing cover
  6. Install crankshaft pulley
  7. Install serpentine belt
  8. Install AC compressor belt (needs special tool to ‘walk’ the belt on the pulley)
  9. Success!!
more than likely you wont need to remove the valve cover

I've put together a pdf with copy pasted e-manual pages, I've already noticed a couple things wrong, so take it for what it is, some things may be different for you vehicle, do some research on the specific tools you may need and understand what you are doing before you start, dont cut corners, take your time, and above all else BE SAFE

note that if done incorrectly (being you get done and the engine is not in time) you will be siting with a very expensive and very heavy paper weight when you turn the key

the forum wouldn't let me upload it here so enjoy a google drive link

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info, I'm leaning towards maybe having a professional look at it. Not looking forward to muffing something up and being left with a nice expensive paperweight... especially since I pay the car off this year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
To build on what a couple others have said. This is a VERY TRICKY repair. Get the manual, and don't take any pulley's off till you know what you are doing.

You are going to need some special tools from ford. Get those on order too (I think there are 3).

·
Registered
180 Posts
i counted 4 must have tools but there are 6

303-1252/2 - stretch belt tool
303-507 - crankshaft alignment peg
303-1565 - camshaft alignment tool
303-1521 - crankshaft position sensor alignment tool

the other to you can get away with not having

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The joys of modern engineering repairs. Sorry to hear of the mount sheering off. I had my clutch slave cylinder go at 80k miles. Cost me $1200 in repairs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, that was a 40 dollar part and a pretty easy repair when mine went out on my Acura.
last i recall the focus has always had the slave inside the trans behind the clutch, so to get to it you have to dismount the trans to even think about looking at it

its a cheap part, the labor is what hurts with this one

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
To the OP= Don't drive this car.....Your engine is likely to fall & cause additional damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts