Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving, my car began to shudder really hard and lost power big time. The car is slower, louder, and sounds like a Honda now! What's the deal? Is this just from a mount? I think it might be the Trans mount? The engine is shaking very hard. please help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you get a check engine light? If so, scan for a code. I can't say for sure, but based on the minimal info above, and my past experiences, I would guess that the problem is something to do with your ignition coil? It happened to me before, I think the code was something like P0351. I had a broken wire, and I just soldered it back together, no problems since and this was about 8 months ago. Anyway first step is to look for check engine light.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I don't have a CEL. It is throwing a code, but it is related to evap canister or something (a different issue-has been throwing that code for over a year with NO cel). I just wanted to know if you get a big power loss with a broken mount. Thanks again

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
broken motor mount shouldnt cause a noticable power loss. you said you thing the tranny mount might be broke so get under the car and check. it isnt hard to find. if that is broken then start by replacing it because you really dont want to drive without it. also if anything down there broke it shouldnt have been the mount but the bracket that mounts the mount to the tranny. listen for any hissing while the car runs. if you broke or had a vacuum line come off that causes a substantial loss of power. all the mounts you can see on top do is stop the motor from rocking sideways. when power is applied to the engine it wants to rock front to back which is what the tranny mount stops it from doing it. easy check for that is crank the car pop hood and rev it from the throttle body. if it rocks alot more than normal then there is your problem.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm. The vibration is hard enough to shake the whole car. (I can see the seats shaking violently.) The vibration stops when the engine is revved to anywhere past 1200 RPMs or so. Would any of the mounts be directly related to a significant power loss? Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
The mounts being cracked or broken wouldn't cause a power loss. The car vibrating so hard like that is for sure the motor mount. I had that same problem about 6 months ago... It's gotta be something else that's causing you to lose power like that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hmmm.. Like focusmaniac said, just make sure you get those motor mounts replaced as soon as you can, kinda like by trial and error, there are only 3. Turns out I had to replace 2 of the 3 to solve my problem. And the hard vibration will (if not get better), go away.

But how does the loss of power happen? Is it as you take off?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
sounds like you lost a spark plug or 2..... having a dead spark plug will make it SHAKE BIG TIME.... and a lose of power....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If a motor mount broke, it is possible the excessive movement pulled something loose....like an electrical plug. Or more likely, the rubber boot connection between the intake manifold and the air cleaner assy slipped off.

That's my guess if both things happened at the same time....

·
Registered
126 Posts
If a motor mount broke, it is possible the excessive movement pulled something loose....like an electrical plug. Or more likely, the rubber boot connection between the intake manifold and the air cleaner assy slipped off.

That's my guess if both things happened at the same time....
I never even thought about something like that happening. Lol [^]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. Well I took it to the dealership and they said one of the wires on the "pigtail connector" broke and came off. Therefore, no spark through wire, heavy fuel smell from dumped unburned fuel, loss of power. All makes sense. Not covered by premium warranty. They want 677.00. No way, I bought the part and am going to put it on myself for 55.00. While I was at dealership I got them to put in a new transmission mount and fix a trans seal that was leaking. All covered by warranty. Sweet. My warranty ends in 1 month. I get the car back tomorrow. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^Boy that's strange. They would warranty a broken motor mount, but not a broken harness connection that was caused by the resulting excessive engine movement. I'd be tempted to get a second opinion directly from Ford.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That really is odd, all that happening to your car, but that's great your warranty covers part if what needed to be repaired.. Needless to say you woulda been payin out the ass for repairs. Its good it's all fixed though.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I feel way better having it all fixed. My total cost for all three items to be new = 200 bucks. (warranty deductible+ part I bought + diagnostic cost) Still better than the 677 that I was first quoted!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i think that they will cover the broken pig tale connector but not clean up the spill of hte gas and such n such...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts