Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Broken Lock nut Key

6449 Views 18 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  amc49
Hi All,

Whilst trying to undo the lock nuts on my wheel so i could change the water pump, i striped the Key completely.

I tried two local tyre places, one tried the reverse tool with a battery powered gun, the other tried hammering a socket over the nut and undoing it. Unfortunately both failed.

Im concerned that the reason the key broke is because the nut is on too tight. I have never had an issue with using the key to undo the nut before, (Mind you the key is 12 years old).

Anyone with any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of the Locking Nut.

Ohh, the Lock nut set is a Mcgard set, i emailed them and they are seeing what they can do.

Has anyone had any dealings with Mcgard or this kind of situation?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
50,838 Posts
Individual sockets (brands) can vary for this unofficial purpose, you need to actually try them to see what fits.

The tool kit you found might help if nothing else does, designed to TRY to grip that surface that's made to be difficult to grip.

Cross fingers that McGard replacement socket does the trick for you, was there a code # on your socket to help find the correct one?

More extreme measures are a PITA & hard to avoid some cosmetic wheel damage, hope one of these methods works for you.

· Premium Member
50,838 Posts
A friend likes to go through assorted "cool" clunkers faster than I do underwear.

Often in the past I ended up being his 'cheap' mechanic.

The old ATX Miata he picked up, which he used duct tape & bondo on to hold the broken mirrors, also had virtually frozen on lug nuts with NO key for the 4 McGuard STYLE cheap locking nuts. (among other problems)

Studs were almost breaking from removal of the regular nuts, so the lockers laughed at the socket trick.

I got most off with welding lug nuts onto the lock nuts (the first try only worked on one). Final just wouldn't come off, top of the nut broke off, and the rest came loose only with a die grinder & carbide bits chewing through one side to loosen it. Stud needed replacement after that, but the wheel was off. Some paint damage in the lug holes from the welding.

Might not have been the BEST way, at that point anything that worked was a good one.

· Premium Member
50,838 Posts
Getting the hub off ranges from difficult to impossible.

Wheel center might be too small for a wrench to take off axle/hub nut for starters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.