Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Broken Lock nut Key

6452 Views 18 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  amc49
Hi All,

Whilst trying to undo the lock nuts on my wheel so i could change the water pump, i striped the Key completely.

I tried two local tyre places, one tried the reverse tool with a battery powered gun, the other tried hammering a socket over the nut and undoing it. Unfortunately both failed.

Im concerned that the reason the key broke is because the nut is on too tight. I have never had an issue with using the key to undo the nut before, (Mind you the key is 12 years old).

Anyone with any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of the Locking Nut.

Ohh, the Lock nut set is a Mcgard set, i emailed them and they are seeing what they can do.

Has anyone had any dealings with Mcgard or this kind of situation?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate.

Ive gotten an email from Mcgard where they believe they have found the correct key to unlock, but not 100% certain.

Issue is i need to get all 4 nuts off LOL.

If the Key they send doesnt work then i will try and use this method. im just worried that it wont work. them im not sure what my options are...

Is it possible to remove the whole hub assembly and take the wheel off and the hub? push comes to shove ill use a grinder to cut off the wheel studs from the back of the hub.

I just dont want to damage the wheel.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was weird on the Mcgard nut, there wasnt specifically a number, but there was "Mcgard Patent No 4,664,000" written on it. Now ive sent that off to Mcgard and they have advised that they have a nut that might fit but cant garuntee it.

im just hoping that they send it expedited. just want to get this sorted.

What are "more extreme measures"?

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting,

here is hoping that the Mcgard one comes through or the socket option.

I thought about maybee trying to get the hub off and using a grinder on the back of the stud to cut it off.

But not sure that would work.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers mate yeah im hoping the socket trick will work.

going to try it this weekend of buy a chisel and see how i go.

Issue for me is that they dont readily sell the removal tool kits in australia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.