Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a question for all you guys with a clutch and flywheel in your car. I just put a Spec stage 2 and fidanza flywheel in. The car feels much better with it in. Trouble is, the local drag races are this Saturday, I only have about 150 miles on the setup. The instructions with the clutch say 450 miles. Should I just say its broken in enough and race or not??? I plan to put as many miles on it as I can before the races too.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I say pass on the race. It's better to be safe than sorry, unless you want to shell all that money out again.......

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I would break it in properly and not race until then if it were me. Just my 2 peso's.

I am willing to bet that if you are too hard on it too soon, you stand a good chance of it getting too hot and warping the friction plates on the flywheel and glazing the clutch. If that were to happen, you would be reminded of your mistake every time you take off from a stop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just remember they say 450 miles of stop and go driving, 300 miles going down the freeway in top gear is no different to the clutch than sitting in your garage over night with the engine off. It's not the milage, its the number of times the clutch is used and how hard it is used (how much heat is generated as you slip it during engagement).

The whole idea that you can't use full power or engine speed during the break-in is wrong. As long as the clutch is fully engaged (and not slipping) the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel do not change position in relationship to each other so there is no motion, thus no heat, no wear, etc, nothing is either breaking-in or wearing-out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Kevlar clutches take significantly longer to break in than OEM or ceramic material based clutches and are more dependent on a proper break-in as well. Clutchmasters recommends at least 1000 miles of break-in. My advice? Don't do it...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Byron 3465 said:
The whole idea that you can't use full power or engine speed during the break-in is wrong. As long as the clutch is fully engaged (and not slipping) the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel do not change position in relationship to each other so there is no motion, thus no heat, no wear, etc, nothing is either breaking-in or wearing-out.
That statement is true, however if he is going to, say, take it out dragracing without it being broken in, that clutch is going to get good and hot when he tries to launch his car at WOT and feather the clutch sufficiently to get a good launch and could stand a chance of warping the friction surface on the flywheel and glaze the clutch pads with repeated hard launches.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree Jay, I was just trying to make sure he did not go out on the freeway and put 300 miles on the Odo and think he had finished the break-in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm..... Just the answer I was hoping I wasn't going to get. Its the last drag races in a LONG time for my hometown.... Guess I'll pass on them. You are definately right about the better safe than sorry. My old clutch had hot spots on it, and it only had 15,000 miles on it. Don't really feel like tearing the tranny out again. Thanks a lot though guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts