Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, would appreciate any advice on how best to go about fixing these problems...

Will I need to go to a Ford dealer to have the ignition cyclinder replaced/fixed and keys reprogrammed... or is there a cheaper alternative to this?

Replacing the starter motor should be more straight forward but should I do this before or after fixing the ignition problem?

Any inputs much appreciated...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cheapest way to replace an Ign. cylinder is to purchase one of the kits avail. that comes with the pieces to "key" the lock to match your existing keys - avoids key replacement/reprogramming.

You can replace the starter at any time, just don't hook up the battery cables again until you've dealt with the lock cyl. problem in some way.

Once you get the existing cyl. out (the sticking one) you can use the car again by moving the ign. switch with a screwdriver. As long as an existing key is mounted next to the lock area it'll fire up. "chip" in the key needs to be close to the sensor ring around the lock, doesn't require key to be in a lock cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply sailor. Have a second hand starter and ignition cylinder ordered from the local dismantler's. Hopefully no further problems once I get those fitted and try to start her up!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
A locksmith can "key" the ignition cylinder for you. I hope the part that you purchased was an 05+ part.

What exactly was it doing? The usual ignition cylinder failure in these cars makes it so that the key won't turn, and can't be removed in some cases. When that happens we usually recommend getting a replacement immediately. With the replacement in hand- try WD40 or some other penetrating lube, tap on the key like it's a nail you're driving into the steering column, and try to get it to turn. Turn it to ACC, and then start the removal process. This saves a lot of pain and suffering if it works. Otherwise you must drill out the lock cylinder.

If you purchased a scrap yard replacement, look at the face of the lock cylinder. If the key hole is centered, then that's a good replacement. If the key hole is off center, you just bought another problem lock cylinder. I wouldn't suggest installing it. Take it back instead and get one from an 05+ Focus. Those will all be the improved model with the centered key hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The key was turning but not freely, it was sticking like someone had poured syrup or something into it and I sometimes had to wriggle the key around to get it back out once I had switched off the engine. According to the garage I brought it to, the faulty ignition caused the starter to burn out (I got a burning rubber smell while driving so stopped the car and switched off the engine. It hasn't started since!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So got the starter motor replaced and started up ok but now the battery is not charging so looks like I need a new alternator as well... have a feeling its going to be one problem after another. On the plus side, it's only cost me 80 euro so far to get the starter motor replaced. Garage quoted me ~470 for starter and ignition!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts