Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive noticed on my focus that if i hit the hatch button on the dash that it doesnt do anything, i have to use my keys to open the hatch. is this a problem with the button or the hatch itself?

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
I would assume that the button uses low voltage so you could check to see if it makes a connection when it is pushed. the next step would be to be sure the latch is getting the signal.

The button on my '03 works intermittently but I have not ever torn into it to investigate.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Yeah, mine's borked too.

It will work if I hit it a bunch of times, though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same here, if i hit it really hard itll open. is it just me or can you only open the hatch when the car is off? its a pain because i always have to turn off the car when im parked in order to open it

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I took mine out, touched the two wires in the plug together to make sure the power was getting to the latch, it was. Then I tested the switch for continuity when the button was pushed, there was none. I disassembled the switch itself, and found a small piece of white plastic in the bottom of the switch body, and the remainder of that white plastic piece out of place. I left the apparently broken piece at the bottom, but removed that remaining piece, cleaned the contacts where the push button causes contact, reassembled the switch, and it has worked fine since (three weeks +/-). It's worth a try, good luck.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,216 Posts
Mine stopped working at one point and it turned out to be the body to hatch door wiring, I re-soldered all the wires and it's been fine ever since.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
mainest has a good point, I was about to suggest something similar.

I just tried searching but couldn't find the thread regarding the wiring going through to the back hatch being faulty. Basically if you lift the hatch you'll see that rubber accordion wire loom and within there, the wires get brittle and crack, causing shorts. This could also be the culprit. You can peel back the loom a bit and check if this is the case, when I did this on my 2001 focus, it actually started to smoke a bit from an electrical arc..lol, not good.

There's a how-to somewhere on fixing this but I can't seem to find it right now. I'll post up if I do.

EDIT: Searched around some...check out post 11 here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267812&highlight=hatch+wiring

And browse through this one: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177074

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Have you tried using the trunk release on your key fob? If that doesn't work either, it's the switch and/or the wiring at the top of the hatch door. If the key fob works, it's the GEM that's probably going bad.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
maybe a newb question but what's a GEM?
Generic Electronic Module. It is basically what controls everything electrical that the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) doesn't (except ABS and PATS). Before the GEM, you had the Central Timer Module and Central Locking Module that did pretty much the same job. It sits next to the PCM behind the glove box.

[edit] Or what miragesmack said... lol. For what it's worth, what that link says is correct; these things are starting to go bad. My hatch release and driver door unlock functions both no longer work on my car, which is an issue in the GEM.

·
Registered
301 Posts
what about the opposite issue? my keys don't work to open the hatch.... its the original hatch just the keys won't turn it....

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Spray the inside of the lock with electrical contact or MAF cleaner; make sure to hold the little door open so the gunk comes out. Give it a minute to dry, then spray a dry lubricant in the lock like graphite or Triflow.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Mine doesn't work either and I could care less. Thank Ford for putting a button where a coat hanger thru the weather stripping could reach. Don't want anyone breaking into my car...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Spray the inside of the lock with electrical contact or MAF cleaner; make sure to hold the little door open so the gunk comes out. Give it a minute to dry, then spray a dry lubricant in the lock like graphite or Triflow.
what do you mean by holding the little door open?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The keyhole has a little cover that opens when you push the key in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts