Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody, been reading alot here and going through the search feature to chase down some cel issues.todays issue is i found a broken coil pack wire. is the repair just a trip to the junk yard and solder a new one back in, is there a ford part repair,auto part store repair or what? sort of seems to be a common problem.appreciate the help, harold

oh and another little question, how come when people ask questions nobody or maybe 90% of the people don't let you know what their fix was? nothing like searching for a problem to find one similar to your and the last post was "I'll check tomorrow "and never returned to the forum to let you know what happpened.just sayin

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Because 90% of the people that come here are only signing up to find advice on why their car is borked and then they leave.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You have an 03 Focus with the Zetec motor? I think there were some 03 PZEV Duratec engine Focus so thats why I ask since the plugs are a different style.

If you have Zetec then buy a new set of plug wires and you are good to go. Don't just replace one do them all the wires come in a set. The parts store brand will be fine in a pinch and should run $20-30 or you can visit your Ford dealer. Assuming you haven't replaced your spark plugs now would be a good time. to do that too Autolite or Motorcraft plugs are preferred. Dont forget your dielectric grease with the wires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think this may clear my question up a little bit better.

this is a zetec engine,and although i appreciate the help its not a plug wire but the wire to the coil pack. thanks, harold

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
This a common problem, so common that you can pick up the harness plug or "pigtail" as they are called at the dealership. I would buy the one at the dealer cause you don't want to get one that is going to get pulled out again, that and you get lots of length on the new pigtail to keep it from being pulled out again. Also don't forget to make sure you put it on right.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Because 90% of the people that come here are only signing up to find advice on why their car is borked and then they leave.

Oh and this statement is soooo true. I've recently been searching for stuff only to find the same thing lots of times. Out of the 50 threads with no real end you'll find that golden thread with the reply to the fix lol

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
how come when people ask questions nobody or maybe 90% of the people don't let you know what their fix was? nothing like searching for a problem to find one similar to your and the last post was "I'll check tomorrow "and never returned to the forum to let you know what happpened.just sayin
Selfishness: n (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
i think this may clear my question up a little bit better.

this is a zetec engine,and although i appreciate the help its not a plug wire but the wire to the coil pack. thanks, harold
Oh yeah the coil pack wire harness I wasn't thinking. As others have said get a new one from the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!!

Got the parts from the dealer to reapir the broken wires. 44 + tax. Was pretty painless. I soldered the wires and the shrink tubing was the good stuff. Better than solderless terminal butt connectors. I have only had this car for about 3 weeks.I replaced the brake rotors and pads(pretty common for me to do but it really needed it done here),hooked up the EGR valve piping (at both ends) and replaced the EGR valve, replaced the hdpe control ( fat arms of mine broke a vacuum fitting, replaced the fuel filter because I thought I was having a fuel issue ( felt like it was missing sometimes) and spark plugs. I cleaned the map, throttle body and iac valve. I also replaced the valve cover gasket due to finding oil around the spark plugs when I changed them. Tonite is the best it has ran since getting it. Some of it is neglected maintenance that I felt I neede to catch up with but some of it makes me question why. Doesn't look like the engine had been replaced but why disconnect the EGR valve. Couple oil changes and I'll change the oil to mobil 1 synthetic. Now to find some good replacement wheels to get rid of the bent ones (plural(2)) and some new tires before winter. Thanks for the help. I may need more shortly. Thanks, harold

·
Registered
520 Posts
egr's lower power and crud up intakes. I don't like them either. If I had one on my car I'd probally unplug it too. Also I perfer to rebuild the old connector replace just the broken wire under $10 and only 1 cut with with only 1 spot to go bad. Lots of corrosion up here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts