Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Requesting help here...

While attempting to change out the brake pads, I was trying to remove the bolt on top of the driver side caliper (the 18mm one) and broke the head off the bolt. I tried everything in the world (dremel, drill bits, etc.) to get the bolt out, but no luck. The bolt is still in the chamber. So I removed the bolt on the passenger side. I can't see that it does anything. It doesn't appear to connect anything. In fact, you don't have to remove it to remove the calipers and pads, although I'm sure you pro's already knew this.

So my question is: what is this bolt for? and, do I need get it fixed (i.e., is it safe to drive)? My Focus is the stripped down, no power anything, non-zxe version, auto transmission.

Thank you for you help,

DJ

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
was wondering the same thing when i did mine. you're right. it doesn't need to come out to do the brakes. what it does... dunno. you might wanna run down to the hardware store and buy an easy-out set to remove what's left of the stud.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did as you recommended, but couldn't get it out. The bolt is reversed and the set wouldn't work. I still don't know what that bolt is for. I 'm sure that someone on these forums knows. Surely someone has a Haynes or Chiltons. Otherwise, I guess I will have to pack up my pride and head down to the dealership and ask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts