Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Broken bolt help!!!!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rambleon84 
#1 ·
Im currently installing the ford racing competition rally brake kit on my 2004 Saleen Focus, and I ran into problems in the rear.... I had to remove the upper control arm bolt where it ties into the trailing arm to install the new brake line mount, and i broke the head off of it. i only have about a 1/4" of the bolt sticking out at the end to grab onto.... and the dumb nut is welded to the trailing arm go figure... Any ideas how to get it out?

#2 ·
go get a bolt remover kit from autozone.

You drill a hole down the center of the bolt, then this reverse-thread thing screws into the hole.

The idea is that the harder you loosen the bolt, the better the grip the bolt remover gets. Dont use a power driver on the bolt remover though.. use a wrench and go slowly.

#3 ·
go get a bolt remover kit from autozone.

You drill a hole down the center of the bolt, then this reverse-thread thing screws into the hole.

The idea is that the harder you loosen the bolt, the better the grip the bolt remover gets. Dont use a power driver on the bolt remover though.. use a wrench and go slowly.
I thought about using something like that, but the end of the bolt where the head broke off is countersunk about a half inch inside the control arm bushing, and the end that comes out of the nut about a 1/4" is rusted all to hell, i soaked it with liquid wrench... i'm just not sure if a bolt remover would be powerful enough to get it out... not to mention limited space to work in...

#4 ·
It's very easy to remove that welded nut as well. Score it with a Dremel tool (or any other small rotary tool) and a cut off disc. Then take a sharp chisel and break the weld. This is a common repair as the bolt and nut has to be removed when you want to install camber bolts. The nut does not have to be re-welded. Just use a lock washer when replacing it.

#5 ·
I wound up cutting the bolt between the control arm and the mount, and then cut the welded nut completely off. The problem is an inch long piece of the bolt is stuck in the control arm... i tried drilling it, beating on it with a hammer and a punch, an air chisel and still no luck getting it out... [?|] I was going to replace the whole control arm but I cant get to the other bolt to get it out... any other suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.