Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

so how the hell does that happen.....well me and my friend are going to attempt to fox this in 3 days.....anyonethink it will be smart to change boths sides or it wont really matter????

·
Registered
149 Posts
Holy crap... that's harsh. I'd check the other side out really good at least. What were you doing when it happened? Doesn't look as though it broke, more like it just...fell apart. Weird.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Did you pop the spindle up out of the ball joint or did that happen on its own? You might need more than just a new axle...I'd suggest looking at the spindle, brake components, tie rod and tie rod ends, possibly the steering rack and transmission. You might want to have it looked at professionally before trying to drive it again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bah 50 dollar CV job the bearings are on a spline you can get easy

edit: get a new spindle from the junkyard if the bearings are bad or anything on the spindle is bent/damaged.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm not saying that everything needs to be replaced, but it might be a good idea to inspect everything before just repairing the CV joint and assuming its OK...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it just fell apart out of no where....pretty strange......one wierd thing about it was....when it broke .....i didnt kno it broke o i tried to park it and of course it wouldnt go....but the gears went right threw w/o the clutch needed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was there any lubricant left in the CV boot? Or did everthing spill out onto the street? Perhaps the lube leaked out of the boot over time causing mechanical failure. I had the same problem on a 1987 Mercury Lynx. I just had to replace the left shaft assy. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote"Did you pop the spindle up out of the ball joint or did that happen on its own?" That was one of the first things I noticed as well. If you did not take anything off before this pic, I would check out everything around were the axle could rotate. Also is that the boot over the steering rack cut off? And then there is the excess oil/fluid all around the inner wheel well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i looked at it in the sunlight and i dont want to sound like a ameteur but thi thing looks like it could possibly just pop back in.....now i kno that seems far fetched but remember i am a rookie.....so talk toi me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts