Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me if Im missing the obvious remedial sticky but Im hoping somebodys up early.. I pulled the time belt (broken teeth) on my zetec 2.0 to do the h20 pump housing and pump and now I want to set the crank and cams at TDC. I got the tools- the bar and pin. I see that the cams are off. How should I set them? Just turn each one one at a time clockwise till each one can let the flat bar tool slide in? After that I could turn the crankshaft till it is stopped by the pin?

Thanks early birds- Im burning moonlight hawaiian central[shameful]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That'll work, the U.S. zetecs aren't interference type so you don't have to worry about hitting valves with the pistons as you get it in position.

Best to get the crank in position so another quarter turn will bring #1 to tdc before sticking the pin in. That's the best place for the crank when setting the cams as well. (if it's there you can tweak an interference motor's cams then as needed)

For an SVT or any other interference engine you have to be more careful when moving the crank/pistons to avoid bumping valves. (if assembled out of time it's tricky to ensure pistons don't hit valves while getting the crank into the position described)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts