Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... they are out of my duratec... today after installing my oil pressure light and my wideband in preperation for my Focus Power tune on monday from Tom, the wife and i went to drive around...

and my car had major miss-fire, so on the way home we stopped and picked up some autolite 104's and i gapped them to .055, and with the lovely help of the wife, we took out the brisk plugs and installed the 104's

then we took it for a test drive, and only had 1 "miss-fire" burp from the engine going around a corner. and it was just alittle one nothing big like prior...

i had the brisk plugs in for probably about 15k or so... and when they go, i guess they go... lol i thought maybe because i hadnt driven the car in 2 or 3 days the fuel started to gel or something, but it just kept getting worst as we drove... so thats when we went to the auto parts store and picked up the 104's

here are some pictures of the brisk plugs...

so the end result for the plugs is i just wanted to get them and try them... i guess we can chock this up there with like Strung did with the MSD coils... had extra cash, so why not try them... but now ill stick with the 104's lol

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah seem to be the same concept... supposedly Brisk plugs gave a v8 mustang 5hp... i didnt really believe it... but i wanted to try them out.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
When I saw these Bosches, I thought about getting them because I haven't changed my plugs since I bought the car. I figured it might be a good idea since I have done some intake and exhaust mods on the car. Car still runs fine, so I don't know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Focus Sport sells Brisk plugs. A bit overpriced for my budget. I put in a new set of Bosch Plat+2 plugs. Nice change! I definetly could feel the difference in a good way. I was leaning towards the Bosch Plat +4's but my Ford guy & the auto parts store guys talked me out of them. My Ford bud (over 27 years as a dealer mechanic, started when he was 18!) says the +4 burn too hot and risk the head & the auto parts guys told me they've had too many returns/complaints about the +4's but none about the +2's. And they were less than $4 a plug! (don't miss the $1 rebate per plug ;-O )

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
idk i work at a parts store and honestly ALL of the bosch plugs SUCK

wouldn't sell them to anyone

the whole multiple ground thing is a marketing gimmick because according to science class the spark will follow the path of least resistance, AKA only ONE spark not 4...

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
autolites or ngk honestly

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think a huge majority on here will recommend autolite 104's with a copper core... which is why i bought my 3rd set now... they are just good plugs and only cost about 6$ for all 4.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
There was a time where I didn't drive my focus for a week and when it was time to start it up, it ran fine for me. I have never heard of gasoline gel up, because that never happened to me; IDK if misfire has any affect on fuel filter performance because if it gets clogged easily then you might start to have once in a while misfires or bucking for that matter.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
i think a huge majority on here will recommend autolite 104's with a copper core... which is why i bought my 3rd set now... they are just good plugs and only cost about 6$ for all 4.
How many sets of plugs did you put in your car since you owned it honhon?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ummm... i put a set of copper cores in before... a set of autolite XP's, and a set of brisk plugs and now copper core 104's again... yes i know ive changed them a bunch, but to me, spark plugs are cheap... (except the brisk plugs)

and if you think thats odd for changing alot... my car has 30k on it and ive already changed the tranny fluid twice so im on the 3rd set of 2 quarts of oil for my tranny... and IIRC the fluid is good for atleast 35k.... lol, preventative maintinece is fun maintinence!

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well this sucks... last night my wife and gapped the autolites to .055 and i put them in, we drove around and the car seemed fine... today... we were gonna head to the beach, the car tried to start once... by the look of my tach it got to 250rpms and the stopped... then my wife and tried for about 30mins after that to get the stupid thing to start...

i checked all 4 coils for power, good there... i checked the spark plugs for spark... all good, then i looked into the cylinder. and there was a puddle of fuel on top of each piston... so i was like... hmmm a fuel injected car flooding out? wtf?

so i cranked the engine over to get the fuel out of the cylinders (with the plugs out), then we reassembled it... nothing... wtf? oh and right before we tried i hit my head on the hood latch...

by that time i was ready to push the focus in the nearest river... so then i said, F it.... i took the autolites out... cleared the cylinders again... and reinstalled my Brisk plugs... the bitch fired right up...

so we went to advance... i explained to them my car ran last night, and today it wont run... and that i put my old plugs back in and it fired right up... so they took my 24hour old spark plugs back and gave me a new set... went home

gapped them to .055 like i did the others, car fired right up... ok... then after that, i changed my fuel filter, and my wife and i went so she could play bingo....

then on the way home its starting to miss again alittle... but only when its cruising, like a consistant 5 or 10% throttle...

whats everyone running on their gap for their plugs? im maybe thinking that mine may be too large? but i swear i saw some one running .060

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Got em set to .060 on mine. Thats weird man. What kind of gapper are you using though? I know I tried using a disc style that has the increments going up around it and it was very inaccurate. I always use the wire style and it works fine.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
It would be interesting to see if you put 3 brisk in and 1 autolite in there to see if it is truly the autolite plugs. It would run but very hard.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i used the little disc to gap them, so mine may be off...

but i can try that idea with 1 brisk and 3 autolites... but the thing is... the autolites will run the car, it just seems to missfire only when under a slight load while cruising.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im wondering... because mine is a 2.0 and yours is a 2.3 that mine gap needs to be a bit smaller... like maybe .050....

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
In the manual I have (haynes I think) it specifies the gap for both motors stock to be .051. So who knows. I really don't think the gap has anything to do with it though. And it doesn't make sense cause sometimes it will misfire when cruising which could be a plug or coil issue. But sometimes it won't start at all. Which would imply that it is an issue with the system as a whole. I mean if you were getting spark to 3 out of 4 it would run but very crappy. But it would start. It almost sounds like something isn't grounded properly. You just did a tuck on the car. Sure everything was grounded correctly and well? All the soldering joints are good? I know that to that main ground when I did mine there were a total of 11 grounds in all I believe.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thats kinda wierd like maybe you have a ignition problem. They should not foul that easy, unless your mods require less gap?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts