Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why didnt Brembo make an all around kit for front and back. With out getting into the fight about drums vs. rotors and the performance of them, drums in the rear with that very pretty kit up front looks retarded IMO. Im still going to do it though.. My guess is i will convert the rear to SVT rotors and then some how paint them to match the front with the brembo logo painted on them.

Why didnt any one other than the Ford SVT for the older Focus make disk conversion all the way around.... Sad....

any one else have some cool conversions that they have done other than the SVT or trying to mount the newer gen focus to the older.. I would like to see some upgrades other than "stock" ford parts reused.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Because SVT rear brakes are more than enough for most applications. Baer does make a kit for front and rear, check out c-f-m.

If you're that concerned, by some of those fake stick on caliper cover thingies, and you mean "brembo", right?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Unless u are turboed a Svt brake kit front and rear should be fine just get some good rotors and pads to match what u are going to use it for. Now if u are tracking the focus and have over 230hp that's when BREMBO front kit comes into play

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Baer racing brake's

Why didnt Brimbo make an all around kit for front and back. With out getting into the fight about drums vs. rotors and the performance of them, drums in the rear with that very pretty kit up front looks retarded IMO. Im still going to do it though.. My guess is i will convert the rear to SVT rotors and then some how paint them to match the front with the brimbo logo painted on them.

Why didnt any one other than the Ford SVT for the older Focus make disk conversion all the way around.... Sad....

any one else have some cool conversions that they have done other than the SVT or trying to mount the newer gen focus to the older.. I would like to see some upgrades other than "stock" ford parts reused.
I upgraded from SVT front brake's to Baer track kit=PBR '94-'04 Cobra & C4 caliper's & 13'' rotor's that clear's the SVT wheel's. check out my album!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Unless you're all out track racing, there's no need to upgrade all four corners with systems that beefy. An SVT rear disk conversion is fine if you have the money, but even then it's not all that needed. Just get a nice set of rotors, pads and replace the shoes and maybe even SS brake lines and you're set for daily street use. And of course bleed the system. You'll be surprised how much of a difference just that makes.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
No more FRPP's SVT rear disc conversion's anymore, according to Steve at Toulsey Ford, cause= no caliper bracket's, & on top of that he said no more rear caliper's for '94-'04 Cobra= someone isn't thinking there! He said possibly a ST 10'' conversion, for people w/ drum's. These are wear item's, not one off spescial part's that fit only one car, these are stock ford part's. What part's store are you going to find a caliper bracket? WOW!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for those who gave me some good info and yes Br"e"mbo. The focuse is paid off and I have moved into a huge house with a 3 and i dont have any payments other than cell phone and other little stuff... So its time to toss all my money into the focus and yes it will have the HP for the four corners being upgraded. I forgot about Baer I thought they were out of the focus parts all together.
All in all the upgrade is a 50/50, performance/visual.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
You're obviously going to do what you want, but here's what I would recommend...

SVT brake swap... (Paint them whatever color you want)

Hawk Pads, Powerslot Rotors, Braided lines...

Bleed them out good and that car will stop on a dime. The other big issue with the Brembo brakes and other BBK's it that it will really limit the wheel sizes you can use.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Where would I get rear SVT caliper bracket's?

You're obviously going to do what you want, but here's what I would recommend...

SVT brake swap... (Paint them whatever color you want)

Hawk Pads, Powerslot Rotors, Braided lines...

Bleed them out good and that car will stop on a dime. The other big issue with the Brembo brakes and other BBK's it that it will really limit the wheel sizes you can use.
I'd love to do the SVT rear brake swap from 10''ST to 11'' rotor's. From what I understand is I need the caliper bracket's to do this swap. So where would I find these? My 13'' Baer brake's clear my SVT 6-spoker's w/ no problem. I got a great deal on the Baer track kit= almost less than 1/2 the cost of Brembo's, & use's OEM & aftermarket part's= a great upgrade from the SVT brake's that I had. I sold them to a member that could use them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Remember however that my rear kits were primarily based upon oversized discs for a disc rear car. There were only a few true "conversion" kits built very early on before the stock disc rear came out. Even then the TCE components did not include the calipers etc, just the discs. Later it expanded to include OS discs for both calipers- ZX3 and SVT were the terms I think.

When the SVT came out with discs on the rear it became far easier and cost effective to simply fit those rear brakes to the car. Don't recall the details of exactly what was needed to do it from drums however. Seems there was a need for some other bearings and such...foggy memory on that and pretty irrelevant today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts