Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my ZX5, are there brighter bulbs over the stock ones that will give off more light?

cause when I turn on my fogs now, I barely notice any light up difference, I mean it looks cool to see em from far away, but they really don't light much up

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
126 Posts
The stock Fog lights are pretty worthless as far as lighting the road goes. If you really want an improvement, I would suggest getting the glass-housing "Euro" fogs from ProCarparts.com, or looking into seeing if the Euro Hella fogs will fit the NA Focus bumper (I'm only SURE that they fit the standard Euro front).

The ProCarparts housings use a different, much higher wattage bulb and I believe the reflectors are aimed to give a slightly more functional beam pattern.

Anyone who's done this mod have comments?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i got some euro designs Foglights those suckers give me light in the dark without the headlights

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just checked procarparts, and couldn't find any fogs for the focus

anyone know any other places to find the Euro glass cover ones? are they direct replacement and plug ins?

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
byw siverstar makes fogs now for the focus they are kinda spendy but ya

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
[scratch]..hum...my stock fog lights are bright enough that sometimes I turn them on as dusk then never turn on my headlights when it gets dark because I don't need them.
To each his own brightness I guess...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
whats so cool about them they look liek the stockers

·
Registered
126 Posts
Solaris said:
whats so cool about them they look liek the stockers
They have a glass lens (allowing the use of a higher wattage bulb) and a better beam pattern due to slight differences in the reflectors. They are much brighter.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
ya but the glass can break can they not?

·
Registered
126 Posts
To tell you the truth, the glass is probably less likely to break that the plastic ones. The lense is much thicker. If it really worries you, you can always order that plastic film that Griot's Garage sells that you cut to fit the lens. My friend uses it on the sealed beams on his 944 Turbo, and you can't really even tell its there. He had two headlights that were taken out by rocks in the first 8 months he had the car, and in the year and a half that he's used that film, not one has broken.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Nliiitend1 said:
They have a glass lens (allowing the use of a higher wattage bulb) and a better beam pattern due to slight differences in the reflectors. They are much brighter.
But can the stock fog light wiring harnest handle the higher wattage/current bulbs ?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I switched to a 50w bulb in my fogs with the stock lense, havent had a problem with it not being glass, but I would like those procarparts ones because they look so much cleaner and my stock ones are like turning yellow = (

·
Registered
126 Posts
EuroZX3Focus said:
I switched to a 50w bulb in my fogs with the stock lense, havent had a problem with it not being glass, but I would like those procarparts ones because they look so much cleaner and my stock ones are like turning yellow = (
Exactly. This is why you need the glass ones if you want to run a higher wattage bulb. The stock plastic ones get discolored from the heat. The added benefit of the glass ones (besides using a higher wattage bulb) is also a better beam pattern from the reflectors, which are slightly different.

Check the link that I posted above to the How-to to find specifics on wiring and bulbs, etc.. I don't have these lights myself, yet I have done a similar mod with the glass projector-type fog lights in my euro bumper. The wiring leading up to the fog lights is sufficient for a higher wattage bulb. You shouldn't have any problems with a resonable increase in wattage (~55 watts which I believe is the wattage of the H1 bulb that is needed for these lights).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so that link you posted for the light housings are the euro style glass housings I need?

now exactly what bulb should I be shopping for as well?

would the stock bulb fit in and be a bit brighter just using the new harness...so at least I can have somewhat brighter for the winter, then I'd wire up new bulbs come spring?

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
k, just peeked at that how to link

now is there a cleaner way to install these lights? and do I have to cut the stock wiring harness? this car is under warrantee for 5 years, and I really don't wanna do something that is gonna F me if something goes wrong

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
i actually tried a few different brands of foglights and then i went cheap and got some $5 GE ones and they're my favorites so far (bright, cheap, and don't burn out after a month)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you just replaced the fog blubs right...not the whole assembly right?

I mean yeah I wanna have em be bright, but I really don't wanna chop up wires and duck tape stuff on a new car

so I'll keep the GE ones in mind

what wattage were those GE ones

Jim

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For a fog light to be functional (in fog, snow, rain etc.) you don't need or want a high wattage bulb. The idea is to cut and reduce reflection and get the light source as low to the ground as possible. A fog light beam is suppose to be broad, not go out much more than a hundred feet or so and have a sharp cutoff so no light goes upward. If you really want to light up the road in front of you, and a long way down the road you want to use driving lights. The lens and reflectors concentrate the light in medium to narrow beams of intense light. On my rally car I had three 130 watt driving lights in addition to my 55/100 watt headlights. On a clear road I could see a half mile down the road easily at speed. Throw in some dust and they became almost useless! Too much reflection! Putting higher wattage bulbs in the focus stock fog lights will only result in uncontrolled glare since the lens and reflector were designed for low wattage applications. The bulb, lense and reflector are designed to work as one element. Screwing with any one of them will result in a less efficent system.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Geezer said:
For a fog light to be functional (in fog, snow, rain etc.) you don't need or want a high wattage bulb. The idea is to cut and reduce reflection and get the light source as low to the ground as possible. A fog light beam is suppose to be broad, not go out much more than a hundred feet or so and have a sharp cutoff so no light goes upward. If you really want to light up the road in front of you, and a long way down the road you want to use driving lights. The lens and reflectors concentrate the light in medium to narrow beams of intense light. On my rally car I had three 130 watt driving lights in addition to my 55/100 watt headlights. On a clear road I could see a half mile down the road easily at speed. Throw in some dust and they became almost useless! Too much reflection! Putting higher wattage bulbs in the focus stock fog lights will only result in uncontrolled glare since the lens and reflector were designed for low wattage applications. The bulb, lense and reflector are designed to work as one element. Screwing with any one of them will result in a less efficent system.
Did you read any of the posts in this topic before you responded? The Focus's "Auxilary Lights" arent really fog light or driving lights. They're auxilary lights. They work in conjuction with your headlights to light up the road more completely and reduce dark spots in the beam pattern (mostly right in front of the car, as with foglights, though they technically are not fog lights). The glass housings of the aforementioned lights (lens and reflector) are made for a 55-watt H1 bulb. These are the lights that actually come on the European Focus. The bulb, lens and reflector are all changed with this mod, and changed for the better. No one who has done this mod has complained of WORSE lighting characteristics. Perhaps you should read the entire topic before commenting on the "efficiencies" of the mod.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
As a matter of fact I read it quite closely. The original poster asked if there were brighter light BULBS that could be placed in the existing lights. I responded to that question as to why that is not a good idea! Other posters suggested replacing the entire light assembly. I did not comment about that because I know very little about those fixtures. A replacement assembly (bulb, reflector, and lense) may be the way to go it was designed for maximum optics.

And for what its worth, Ford states the Focus has FOG Lights. My owners manual calls them fog lights. A careful look at the lense also indicates they are fog lights (lense design is generally the major visual component that tells you the type of light it is intended to be).

Clearly there some some fog lights that are better than others. The ones on most american cars (including the focus lights) are more aesthetic than functional because the feds restrict the output and design when compared to euopean lights. Just because a light is bright and you can see better from behind the wheel doesn't mean its quality light. In fact a fog light should never be used in conjunction with headlights for maximum visibility is poor conditions. But the feds require them to be wired such they cannot be used independently. Fortunately, there is an easy way to circumvent this on the focus but not so easy on other cars. Headlights render fog lights useless. And if, as you say, their intended purpose is to fill in dark spots, its my opinion that they do a piss poor job at that as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts