Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing that I find myself in rural NC quite often, I would like to upgrade the reverse bulbs with a bulb that has higher light output. Initially, I was going to go with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, but I've started seeing bulbs that might be brigher.

I'm not up on all of the terminology and types of newer bulbs, so if someone could make a recommendation, that would be great.

The only real requirement I have is that I don't want something that runs the risk of melting the connector due to excess heat from extra output.

This is a nice to have and not a must have, so if the risk exists of melting the connector, I'll stick with a lower output bulb.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Those may be THE bright ones, I could find no others. Any brighter may well cook the sockets. Already turboed there, the original socket was never meant to carry that bigger load. LEDs may be brighter and lower power but a narrower viewing angle most likely.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I have LED's on my other focus and the reverse lights are much brighter than the stock bulb in my other focus. You can get them cheap on ebay, it would be cheaper than buying those other ones that may or may not burn the socket.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
They are much brighter but many will drop way off in intensity if you only move to the side a small amount while looking at them standing behind the vehicle. Not the hot setup for reverse since you are looking for as wide a splay of beam as you can get. Some LED bulbs though were beginning to side mount part of the LEDs at wider angles to remedy that issue.

Way to tell? If all the LEDs are pointed in same direction inside bulb then the narrow angle ones. You want LEDs at different angles in there.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
They all have them 'all over it' but some have many pointed in different planes; the crap ones will all be facing in the same exact direction. LEDs have limited viewing angle, they have to be splayed at different angles to spread the light beyond a narrow beam. On my bike I used LED taillight and super brilliant directly behind it, but move to the side one way or the other and the light practically disappears. I had to add like 2-194 bulbs to side of brakelight pod under lens to light up the side of rear of bike or car running slightly behind and next to me would not even see me. Dangerous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts