Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 Focus ZX3, 238,XXX miles:

I have an issue where when my headlights are on and set to low beams, the passenger side light is on high beam, and the high beam indicator on the dash is lit up to about half brightness. The driver's side light is low beam, as it should be. When I switch to high beams, the driver's side light goes to bright, and the passenger side light switches to low beam, and the high beam indicator lights up to full brightness.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I've never seen anything like this before. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check wiring to the lights. Check the highbeam wire and the low beam wire on the plug that goes to the driver side light. Compare it to the passenger side too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Check the light wiring as suggested above first as it's a no cost easy check.

Since each headlight works on both high and low beam but in the wrong sequence and the high beam indicator light works dimly (indicating a intermittent or short), I would suggest your high beam/turn indicator switch itself is faulty. Replacement involves removing the steering column cover and undoing an electrical connector and popping a new plastic OEM one in, iirc. (I recall them being held in by plastic tabs; maybe a screw.) You could also try a junk yard for the part although anything you find will have likely seen a lot of use as well.

They are simple switches so they do fail with age and your vehicle is getting up there in years, as is mine.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
i remember having this issue in my old gold wagon.. i remember the car alternating the headlights with the highbeams dim and im trying to figure out how i fixed it its been over 8 years now.. but if im not mistaken i dont remember if it was a bad relay a bad fuse on one side and the car was using the highbeam at a lower power setting to keep both headlights on and the dim light was a warning.. i would test the theory out but i just sent my 13.5 6amp power supply skyhigh trying to power the bench harness i have with headlights attached.. (it went bang and boy was it ever a bang i fractured the casing of the power supply)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
it blew up on my basement carpeted floor AMC xD you saw the picture i have of the focus harness... i was running a 12amp battery charger but its hum was driving me batty so i got a different power supply xD i wish i had a spare battery but nope no spares...

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
heh you remember this rig right AMC xD i still have it out

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
welcome to the entire body harness connected grounded and working laying on the floor of my basement... this is what boredom and being stuck in the house due to the snow does

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have some troubleshooting time today and this weekend, so between fixing this issue, figuring out why fuse 32 in the fuse box keeps blowing, and getting my other identical focus running, I'm going to be pretty busy.

ArcticMynx, you must have some dedication to lay out the whole harness on your floor. LOL. [clap]

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
32 if im correct is for the light switch.. (32 changes alot throughout the years)

as for the harness nah thats just boredom and helps to diagnose wiring issues

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it would be nice to have everything out in front of you to see while troubleshooting. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the headlights yet, as I have been working on my other identical Focus trying to get it running. I created another thread for that one.

I found out why fuse 32 kept blowing - All of the wires between the rear hatch and the body of the car in the rubber boot were all chafed and missing insulation and rubbing together. Copper to copper contact. The fuse blew again last night and I replaced it and was going to start driving home to further troubleshoot and when I turned on the headlights the rear hatch opened due to the wires all being chafed and rubbing together. Then I shut off the lights and pressed the hatch open button next to the instrument cluster and for the duration of time that the relay in the dash was activated, the rear lights and gauge cluster lights came on. I opened up that rubber boot and found all the wires, copper exposed and rubbing together. I wrapped each one with electrical tape and now everything seems fine, but the issue had me confused for a while.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to work on troubleshooting the headlights. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Yeah it would be nice to have everything out in front of you to see while troubleshooting. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the headlights yet, as I have been working on my other identical Focus trying to get it running. I created another thread for that one.

I found out why fuse 32 kept blowing - All of the wires between the rear hatch and the body of the car in the rubber boot were all chafed and missing insulation and rubbing together. Copper to copper contact. The fuse blew again last night and I replaced it and was going to start driving home to further troubleshoot and when I turned on the headlights the rear hatch opened due to the wires all being chafed and rubbing together. Then I shut off the lights and pressed the hatch open button next to the instrument cluster and for the duration of time that the relay in the dash was activated, the rear lights and gauge cluster lights came on. I opened up that rubber boot and found all the wires, copper exposed and rubbing together. I wrapped each one with electrical tape and now everything seems fine, but the issue had me confused for a while.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to work on troubleshooting the headlights. I'll let you know what I find.
hey i mentioned that xD lol also a VERY common problem

here have a gander at what i found in 2009 on my car ( and yes my picture is being used on every forum.. i can prove thats my picture because thats my grubby hand xD

As you can see Very common and some of the Ford Focus's actually had a recall for that

hey be thankful it didnt do what some did... open when at highway speeds

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
yeah that problems been known to cause the hatch to open when brakes are applied, brake lights being turned on when wipers or the defrost is enabled yeah that bundle of mess can cause havoc.. but i am glad you found it i was reading back it looks like the forums never saved the post i made to you about inspecting the hatch wiring =(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have ruled out the turn signal switch as the issue. I swapped switches between my 2 cars and the problem did not follow, so it's not the switch. I will troubleshoot as I get more time. With my other car (the one referenced here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/736506-2000-focus-zx3-zetec-2-0-no-start-issue.html) I am having an issue with the left turn signal (I'm guessing wiring). I created a new post for that one here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/738537-drivers-side-front-blinker-issue.html#post10630681

As I now have two separate electrical issues to troubleshoot on two separate cars, my time will be divided, so I don't know when I'll be troubleshooting this one further.[dunno]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at the headlight wiring in question today, and it seems that the wiring inside the light is backwards, as focspi originally mentioned. I swapped the light out with the one in my other car (a known good one) before looking at the wiring and the problem did not happen with the known good light installed. I then compared the wiring inside the two lights, and the one in question is wired incorrectly, so all I have to do is fix it.

This thread can now be closed.

Thanks for your suggestions everybody![burnout]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello guys. Two months ago I had the same problem with my old ford focus. I did not know what I need to do. So, one of my friends told me to contact with garage. I contacted with service center and the master fixed the problems with headlights. But two days ago my headlights stopped work and decided to buy new ones. I checked https://www.uzooka.com/ and ordered them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts