Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm slightly confused about this bridging thing and 4ohm woofers.

Basically i've got a rockford 2 channel amp which'll output 244watts rms @ 4ohms to each channel, or 395watts rms bridged @ 2ohms...so anyways, i've got an infinity kappa perfect 12.1 ( single voice coil ) sub...which is a 4ohm sub... so if i bridge it to the sub...will it run louder and not cook the amp ?? i think from what i've heard that if i ran say a 1ohm load it would cook it...but how about this setup?? right now i just have it running off of one of the channels.

[wrenchin]

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
I have a Memphis Audio 12st250D Amp Running Bridged into a Rockford Fosgate 8" P2 and I have no heat issues.

You will be fine and the amp and sub are probably 2 ohm stable and you are not going to be running any lower than that.

Fosgate amps can handle briging all day long.

1 ohm would probably cook them amp and the sub. Since you aren't running it like that you will have no problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
i think it'll be fine just as long as you dont try to dip into a 1 ohm load....but 2ohm is just a regular bridge from the amp to a single voice coil sub......no worries there

but since you have that SVC you cant run a 1ohm load so there's no need to worry about frying your amp

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
Well as far as Fosgate not handling bridging I have never had a problem with it but i have not used their newer stuff. SO i guess I assumed it would be no problem with newer stuff. We all know what assuming gets us.

I still have a Punch 40I that i am going to bridge to the 8in P2 I have. hell it has bridging instructions on the bottom of the amp. I wish i still had my Punch 120A2 I would rock that instead.

I have to let the Memphis amp go because my brother wants it back even if he is not going to use it. OH well bye bye class D amp.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i ran my fosgate's bridged for about a year and was hittin in the low 140's, bridge it, its gona heat up, but thats anything with 12 volts running through it, example, play a cd for about an hour with the volume at a comfortable volume then take ur cd out. it will be warm or for cheaper cd players it will melt onto ur hand. just make sure u bridge them ++ -- other wise the subs will just kinda chill and not do much and make a realy bad noise when they hit if they hit at all

peace
knox

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check the owner's manual on your amp to see what the 4ohm bridged power rating is. This is what your 4ohm subwoofer will recive when you connect it across the bridged terminals of the amp. If the amp does 244 per channel in 4ohm stereo mode, then 4ohm mono should be at least 488 watts-but will likely be much more. The amp should be fine. I would be most concerned about the sub.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yea as rockfords get newer, they get cheaper...ive still got my punch 45HD mosfet, brigdged, i think its about 15 years old now...i did put a fan on it after it was bridged, but its under plexi so...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts