Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after five years spent daily driving a dull '06 Fusion, I finally came into enough money to get a car I've wanted for so long: an SVT ZX3. I had done the math and realized my profit sharing was going to be enough to obtain a new car. I began my search. I came across an ad on both craigslist and here for mlbbaseball's 2002 Pitch Black SVT ZX3 EAP. Price lined up right with what I wanted, and he was more than willing to wait the few weeks for my profit sharing check to come in, so I put $200 down, and began plotting.

She was immediately named after a friend of mine. My friend Mercedes named my Fusion Vicky during an evening hanging out back in 2010, so I saw fit to name the SVT using Mercedes' middle name: Brianne. Brianne is my first legal hatchback, my first legal coupe, my first six-speed, and my first black car (man are they hard to keep clean!).

I forgot to document the journey to get to this point, but I'll do my best to describe it. I knew I had two 12" subs in my Fusion that the buyer (a friend of mine) wasn't obsessed with having, so I needed a head unit. I found a Pioneer AVH-X5600BH which suited my needs. It's a 7" touchscreen Bluetooth/DVD/HD Radio head unit with an 8-band EQ. I got my tax returns and I began ordering the things I felt I needed to put in/on the car:

- TruBendz 2.5" Exhaust w/Borla Muffler (will be here Monday)
- Pioneer AVH-X5600BH (installed already)
- Metra Adapter (obviously, installed)
- Spark Plug Cover (ordered off of here, already installed)
- Battery, ignition coil, and throttle body cover (all ordered off of here, already installed)
- Center Console w/Armrest (UPulled that one, already installed)
- SVT Badge (eBayed it, already installed)
- Ford hatch logo (UPulled it, already installed)
- Rear Wiper Blade (AutoZone, already installed)
- Most recent (black leather, with silver top) Cobra Shift Knob (eBayed it, already installed)
- Back-up Camera (eBayed it, not yet installed tech guy was tired)
- Lights from StarFuryT550 (Next Sunday, going white)

Well, enough with the lists, on to the pictures. There's only ten for now, but as I go along, I will continue to add more.

First picture I took of her, the hood is popped.

Pre-Badges

Badged!

Engine, slowly gaining more and more of the stock covers, DIRTY. Going to be dirty for a little bit longer.

Even more of the stock engine covers, still so dirty.

EAP Summer Wheels! Totally worth the extra price to have two sets of wheels.

New radio, installed. Bezel could use a bit of cleaning up, painting, and reworking. I'll probably just get a new one.

And thus, to completely negate the point of having a hatchback....

I will be putting a cat-back exhaust on it, Tom's Tune, and having it professionally detailed. I need a new passenger side seat because I wasn't paying attention the night I got her, and a bottle of Royal Purple transmission fluid that Brad was nice enough to include happened to drip out onto the seat and soaked it. I also want to get new headlights and a proper header heat shield.

My goal with this car is simple. I don't want the world's fastest, loudest, or most gaudy car. This won't be a track car. I am just happy to be free of my Fusion and in to a car I've wanted ever since I first found out they existed. I may have skipped a few things, typing this all out and going back and forth between pages isn't helping, lol. I'll be back within a week with more updates.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think you need to remove the stock sub so you gain some more room back there. Also hatch backs are good for subs, as the subs are actually in the car with you vs the trunk.
See, I thought about doing so, but then I thought: how would I cover up that wheel well? Do stock ZX3 wheel well covers fit on SVTs?

Also, I definitely know that hatchbacks are good for subs, I've certainly felt the difference from my fusion to Brianne, but subs are not good for tiny hatchbacks. I literally have no storage now, lol.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust came yesterday, going in Friday. Meeting up with Andrei this weekend, flip keys get cut Friday and I fix the cruise control and parking brake this weekend too. Exciting couple of weeks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome! I'll go yank one from the UPull when I get a chance!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Nice man, looking forward to your progess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jburks, more progress soon!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Attempted to put the cat-back on today. Old exhaust somehow miraculously had borderline NEW bolts at the flange, so we unbolted that, cut the exhaust in to three pieces and dropped it out. Mounted from the back forward, got all the way to the flange and found out that TruBendz was kind enough to weld totally the wrong flange on my exhaust. So we had to cut the flange (and about 4" of extra pipe) off the stock pipe, cut the flange off the new pipe, stick the old flange IN TO the new pipe, clamp it down, and now I have to go get it welded on to the new pipe Monday. So that was a nightmare.

Also, when my tech guy installed my subs, my cruise control stopped working. Still can't figure that one out. It's beginning to hurt my leg as I have a 30+ minute drive to work.

Also, attempted to replace a parking brake cable, had no luck. So I'm going to one cable it. Has anyone ever tried this?

Murphy's Law really showed up in full force today. Subs cut out, I took a perfectly good working exhaust and gave myself an exhaust leak, I still don't have parking brake, and I still don't have cruise control. If anyone has any tips, feel free.

·
Registered
106 Posts
With your cruise issue, start by checking your third brake light. Make sure your bulbs aren't blown. It sounds crazy, but when they go out cruise stops working. My Focus has done it and I also had a couple of f-body cars that did it too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be doing that tomorrow, I actually had just found that on a search.

Still love this car, more than any of my previous cars...despite all the problems I'm making her have lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And here is the crap flange TruBendz sent me. Not only was it the wrong one, it's not even on straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I had the old flange welded in to the new exhaust (pics later), and it works great! Despite the problems with the flange, I'm surprisingly happy with the exhaust. It sounds deep down low, loud in the middle, and louder up top. Amazingly quiet on the freeway too. Also, fixed cruise control this weekend. Somehow, a blown fuse for my reverse lights meant I no longer had cruise control. Also, paid a visit to Andrei this weekend! He still has to dremel out my SVT silver HVAC surround, but the rest of the car is white and bright and I LOVE it. Couldn't possibly recommend him any more. Extremely courteous, thorough, and swift.

Unfortunately my subs stopped functioning on Thursday and I didn't have a chance to get with my sound guy this weekend. I'll be seeing him and Andrei (again) this coming Saturday.

List of what's left (hopefully in the order I'll be doing them):

- Headlight replacement
-With that, IMRC repair.
- Parking brake repair.
- Shift knob replacement (I'm currently using a mustang 6-speed leather with silver top knob that is the same pattern as ours, but when I was visiting Andrei I totally wanged my radio on it, so it has a good chunk taken out of it now.)
- Detail (there's a shop in town that does in, out, and engine for $100)
- Fog light/license plate lights/headlight bulb replacements. While there's nothing wrong with them, I'm not a particularly big fan of the yellowed color of OEM bulbs. Not going to go blue-white, but definitely white-white.
- Tom's Tune
- Hopefully locate an interested party who wants to swap European 15-spokes for SVT 5-spokes. I'm in love with the 5-spoke on black look, and I desperately want it.
- Gauges from metal monkey. I loathe the soft green look of the stock SVT gauges, and unfortunately the only decent way to replace them is with $150 gauge faces. Lovely.

Future list of considerations:

- Short throw shifter
- Cold Air Intake (more for aesthetic purposes, the stock intake tube has really, really not aged well)
- Foot lighting is severely under consideration. I've grown partial to that new Ford look of illuminated foot wells, so I'm looking in to low-brightness LED illumination, probably in white.
- Remote start. This is entirely dependent on whether or not my parking brake functions, obviously.

As for anything else, I'm always open for suggestions. But I am a little disinterested in taking her too much further than what's listed. She is my daily driver after all, and the number one priority with everything I've done has been comfort and enjoyment. I want to love driving again. My Fusion totally killed it for me. Yea, it was probably one of the most reliable, guaranteed vehicles I have ever owned. But everything about it was so dull. So, while I do want fun and enjoyment, I am going to be shying away from too much more engine/suspension/brake modification and/or forced induction purely because it isn't in the vane of reliability and easy replacement.

I'd love to hear opinions though!

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
cool build dude, i agree as far as not going too much further but ill chip in a TB because of the responsiveness the car gives...

its late here but idr if you added a k&n yet. thats an easy one too.

jump on eibachs 25mm rear sway (wouldnt consider the front worth it if youre not trying to go too far.) thats another ez one.

lastly id add a set of vogtland springs, you can keep the stock struts and be just fine for quite awhile on them. they are progressive so in a straight they are comfortable but once you start to swing the wheel they compress quickly.

i run vogtland on my DD and love it for the straight line comfort and cornering ability, best of both worlds imo. if the my focus wasnt a DD id hop on a set of h&r's, but it is and i want to keep my back in ok condition while having fun at an autox.

also, let the euro wheels grow on you a bit. i think they will look better in the long run.

also [welcome] welcome back

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So a slightly bigger (the ones I see are usually 2 mm bigger) tb makes that much of a difference, eh?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Whoa 2mm? Does one of the mustang 70mm fit ok?

You could try porting your stock one out. My preference is a touchy pedal, way more fun when getting up to speed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would a mustang throttle body fit? I don't think they're universal.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I've seen it done on here or fj before.
The other option is to port your stock one out.

(You probably know the answer to these instructions)

I'm no svt expert but I'd take your intake tube off (that goes to the tb) and inspect it. If its a perfect funnel then don't bother. You probably already have the feel I'm telling you about.

If its not a funnel and there is a "bump" I'm the funnel next to the butterfly valve that keeps one end somewhat closed and allows the other to open you most likely don't have the feel I'm taking about.

You could also just take a pic, pm me and ask a mod to delete my annoying ass posts LOL XD [neener][grinking]

1 - 20 of 86 Posts