Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I could really use some help.

I’m trying to install my Volant intake and I wanted to remove the breather hose and replace it with a breather filter. I’m stumped on how to remove the U shaped hose that connects to the valve cover. It’s like it was cemented on or something. Do I just pull it straight out; or is there some trick to it, like twisting a certain way?

Thanks.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
570 Posts
hahha its easy bro

just pull it straight out cus its got a little insert in the end which comes out of the valve cover to connect to it

oh and what i did was i discovered that the aftermarket hose that they give with cold air intakes will fit over that tab perfectly so i just cut a little portion of it and put my filter on that looks good too

·
Registered
570 Posts
what throttlebody do u have too
looks nice

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
If you really don't need it, you could always cut it off and cut off a piece on the other end to connect the filter with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mine was like rotted on or something, so i took a razor blade and slit it up the middle so it would come off easier

·
Registered
570 Posts
also where did you buy your volant? im looking into it just not $250 worth.
i dont know how the quality of these are but checkout

the spyder cai from
autopartswarehouse.com

just put in your year,make,model and look up cold air intakes
cheap brand called spyder
check em out

i bought my cai off this site
and mine works awsome
i love it
my brand was velocity
an unheardof brand from that site

so i say give the spyder brand a shot

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
The Volant intake is the highest quality you can buy for the focus, it actually out flows any intake out there and uses the factory snorkel while in a heat shielded box.

Really no comparrison to any other intake out there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i did the same.. easy.. get a flathead and wedge it in to losen it.. then yank it off.. get the breather filter and wedge it on the tube.. it'll be a little big but it'll work..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your suggestions. I was pretty sure that it just needed to be pulled off but I didn’t want to risk damaging anything. I ran out of daylight so I'm going to try and get it on tomorrow. You can probably see from my picture why I want it off; it looks like its rotting away. Every time I touch it powder comes off so I figure it’s just a matter of time.

I did get the Volant installed, and wow. Now I usually don’t buy it to the hype associated with a product, otherwise I'd have a 275HP focus that gets 185MPG lol. But what they say about the Volant is true. It is the single best mod I've done to the SPI. It blows my old full length cold air intake away. It’s very high quality.

what throttle body do u have too
looks nice
It's a BDR (Black Diamond Racing) Throttle Body. I got it for $179.99 off of CFM's website.

also where did you buy your Volant? I’m looking into it just not $250 worth.
newedgeperformance.com

It was $5 more than eBay, but I think it was well worth the money with the results I've gotten.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
See.....I told you the volant was the best. I wouldn't trade mine for any other intake out there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey loudfocus01, I see you’re using an SVT snorkel with your Volant. What did you have to do to make it work? If it doesn’t involve cutting a larger hole in my Volant air box I would be interested to know.

I was storing my stock intake in my parents garage and they somehow lost the snorkel (and nothing else of course) so I need to do something about it, and I thought while I'm at it why not get an upgrade.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
^^
As far as I know the SVT snorkel fits with no modification.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Nope, you have to mod the svt snorkle itself. No modifications are done to the volant box.
There used to be a how-to for it, but i can't find it anymore.
You connect the flexible part from a stock zetec intake pipe to the svt snorkle after cutting off
the end part on the svt snorkle.
You can see it in this picture I took above the motor mount:

That flexible section of the zetec intake tube fits the hole on the bottom of the volant box perfect.
I actually bought an already modded svt snorkle that already had this done, but it was
easy to tell what had been modified to make it work.
The svt snorkle made a noticeable difference in the butt dyno, especially on the highway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I found the how-to:
http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/volant-svt.htm
I just bought a stock Zetec intake tube and I'm in the process of buying the SVT snorkel from Mike. Thanks for the info.

Also I finally got the breather filter installed. I had to cut the U shaped tube off. It was like melted and fused to the valve cover. There was no way I could have pulled it off by hand. And then the breather filter wasn’t the right size to fit the valve cover either. All the auto parts stores where I live only had one size so I had to use an exacto knife and hollow out the inside of the rubber connector on the filter. Fits nice and snug now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
whats the differance between the spi and svt snorkle? ive seen a pic of loudfocus' and it apeared to be the same as mine

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
The opening, and tubing is MUCH bigger than the stock one, which allows much more air into the intake box.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This isn’t the greatest, but now that I have mine in here are some before and after pictures to give everyone an idea of just how big a difference there is in just the size of the two snorkels.

SPI snorkel:

SVT snorkel:

As you can see living on a dirt road has not been kind to me. I miss having a clean engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That volant is a very nice piece but I find it hard to believe that it outflows the stock intake that much. $250 is a pretty high price tag for something that nets you less than 10hp and might hurt fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts