Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some info on this at focal jet but i figured you guys could explain this to me better. I have a steeda short ram and was wondering if the breather filter is what replaces the rubber hosing that connects to the intake from the valve cover? An explanation of the breather filter would be great. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
yea, cept it doesn't always replace the hose, k&n has them with the OD to fit right in the existing tube, thats what i have. but its called a breather because thats what it is, its basically a vacuum leak from the valve cover.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i f i was to get this should i just plug up the hole that would be left on the short ram?? Thanks again kickn for the great info you have been giving me lately. You are very valuable to this site and me!!

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
well you dont want any holes in the intake line, esp after the filter

·
Registered
126 Posts
blackandgold said:
so i f i was to get this should i just plug up the hole that would be left on the short ram?? Thanks again kickn for the great info you have been giving me lately. You are very valuable to this site and me!!
No, you want to plug the short ram hole up completely to block airflow, and put the filter either on the crankcase (valve cover) or on the end of the tube coming out of the crankcase.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kicknzx3 said:
yea, cept it doesn't always replace the hose, k&n has them with the OD to fit right in the existing tube, thats what i have. but its called a breather because thats what it is, its basically a vacuum leak from the valve cover.

Vacuum leaks are involved with the intake tract. They affect the fuel air mixture. The crankcase ventillation system does not affect the fuel/air mixture. The hose or breather allows oil vapors to be burned off in the engine when the crankcase experiences positive pressure. Hence the name positive crankcase ventillation, or PCV. On an engine in good working condition it is not uncommon to have a positive pressure inside the crankcase. This can and will get worse as the rings wear and blowby increases. Without the PCV valve or a breather, the engine would blow out all of the seals, (valve cover, oil pan, etc.).

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
oldschool said:
Vacuum leaks are involved with the intake tract. They affect the fuel air mixture. The crankcase ventillation system does not affect the fuel/air mixture. The hose or breather allows oil vapors to be burned off in the engine when the crankcase experiences positive pressure. Hence the name positive crankcase ventillation, or PCV. On an engine in good working condition it is not uncommon to have a positive pressure inside the crankcase. This can and will get worse as the rings wear and blowby increases. Without the PCV valve or a breather, the engine would blow out all of the seals, (valve cover, oil pan, etc.).
what is ventilation...a vacuum leak, or so i was always told, and connected to the tube is not the pcv at the valve cover...so to me, that wouldn't really...anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the PCV is not on the other end of the tube going to the intake my apologies. This has been the setup on every other application i've seen though. So what is there? My post was meant to augment yours Kickn, not dispute it.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
understood, my apologies, all that is there is well...nothing, the an open tube off the valve cover, thats why at high rpm's a lotta oil travels into out manifolds and clogs up the egr tube at the rear. the pcv is located at the front of the engine to the right right under the exhaust manifold flange....and i agree with the set-up, i work on toyo's all day long and all sit at the top or rear of one of the valve covers.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you think this would be a worth while mod to do or should i just stick with the hose?

·
Registered
126 Posts
blackandgold said:
Would you think this would be a worth while mod to do or should i just stick with the hose?
It's not gonna give you any horsepower, so take that for what you will.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I knew that LOL I just noticed that some fluid is leeking out onto the valve cover from the rubber hose and thought maybe this might help relieve that.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
call up focus sport and order the ITG breather filter thats made for the zetec

·
Registered
126 Posts
blackandgold said:
Well I knew that LOL I just noticed that some fluid is leeking out onto the valve cover from the rubber hose and thought maybe this might help relieve that.
Actually it's going to make MORE of a mess, because all that oil is now going to spray in a very fine, almost atomized mist out of the breather filter. As it is now, that gets shoved back into the intake and burned/used during combustion.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
Nliiitend1 said:
Actually it's going to make MORE of a mess, because all that oil is now going to spray in a very fine, almost atomized mist out of the breather filter. As it is now, that gets shoved back into the intake and burned/used during combustion.
i've had a breather filter on my car for two years now and not once had i needed to clean anything off of it. (though i do wash and oil it as you should with many aftermarket filters. it does its job, and does it well...its also nice not having to clean the throttle body of carbon build-up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts