Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Breaks squeaking and groaning after change

403 8
Got myself a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 2.0L .

After putting off a brake change for a while, I finally found the time a few weeks ago to change my brakes. I replaced my old ones with some Carquest Gold ones. I made sure to compare the two to make sure the size was right and they were. Everything went off without a problem.

Except, a week later, I started hearing squeaking from my brakes. They happen whenever I drive a low speed or press on the pedal at low speeds. Now, I started hearing groaning that was not there originally, which is getting worse with the squeaking. I took the wheel off yesterday and checked the brake caliber and they were both on tight.

Did I do something wrong when replacing my brakes?

I followed this tutorial exactly:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
968 Posts
Unless you made a major mistake, it can happen once in a while. It happened to me once: brand new brakes and a bit of squeaking. The garage offered to replace them but they told me that it can happen sometimes and that it would go away. Noise lasted a couple weeks and indeed went away. Some people do a pad burn-in procedure when they install new rotors and brakes: really strong braking in short succession right after installing but I guess it is too late now.

I saw some fails videos where people installed the pads wrongly but I think you’d be hearing more than a little squeak. Have a visual inspection at your brakes and check for excessive brake dust or grooves on the rotor surface (shouldn’t have any).

· FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
8,592 Posts
I have Hawk HP5.0 Pads on my Fusion & my ST. Depending on the temperature of the pads they will squeak occasionally throughout my drive because of the pad compound.

Reactions: sarxworks

· Registered
2007 Focus 2.0L 4 door sedan
35 Posts
I just watched the video...I am not a mechanic, but there seem to be some things done improperly.
Some things I noticed:
-No lubricant was applied to the contact points on the pads.
-inadequate cleaning of the various contact points of the caliper and bracket. A wire brush should be used.
-Would be better idea to use the old pads to force the piston back in, but probably not contributing to any noise.
-Slide pins were neither lubricated, nor replaced. They did not look to bad in this video, but they can get rusty, and the slide pin bushings can wear out. Those can be purchased if needed, but at least he should have lubricated them with silicone grease I think.

I would say lack of lubricants is contributing the most to the noise issue.
I suggest watching a video of Eric O from South Main Auto doing a brake pad and rotor change. He puts lubricants on many contact points, even on the piston. Obviously, do not put lubricants on the pad or brake disc friction surfaces.

FYI, my brakes do not squeal, though they do groan a bit when coming to a stop over bumpy roads.

· Registered
19,359 Posts
You need to lube the caliper pins for sure but I never lube anything else like back of pads ever and zero noise issues once you know what makes the noise. Why the pad ends are angled; to stop all that.

When you lube pad backs and clean up the inside caliper fit points you are loosening the pad to be able to move around more and that lube is gone in 3 months. Why I prefer tight pad fit as long as it is bottomed.

· Registered
3 Posts

After putting off a brake change for a while, I finally found the time a few weeks ago to change my brakes. I replaced my old ones with some Carquest Gold ones. I made sure to compare the two to make sure the size was right and they were. Everything went off without a problem.

Except, a week later, I started hearing squeaking from my brakes. They happen whenever I drive a low speed or press on the pedal at low speeds. Now, I started hearing groaning that was not there originally, which is getting worse with the squeaking. I took the wheel off yesterday and checked the brake caliber and they were both on tight.

Try Akebono pads next time.Very quiet.

· Vendor
22 Posts

There could be many reasons for this, you might need to grease the contact points. Or they might need to be broken in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts