Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just bought my car brand new in january and i noticed yesterday that my rotors are worn down like the break pads are grinding into them? i know a few weeks ago i had to slam on my breaks real hard and i almost hit a car but would that do it? my rotors are like real rigid and shiny now....should i take it to ford and maybe be under warrenty?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Only if you have a REALLY good dealer, brakes are considered a normal wear item and not covered under the warranty. On the other hand four months is ridiculously early to need new rotors....
If the dealer turns you down I'd go and find some Brembo bland rotor (tirerack.com) or check out British American Tranfer for some descent rotors and pads...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
well i have the same problem, but my dealer always has fixed them under warrenty. they even did an experiment where they put new brakes on, and i put less than 500 miles on the car, then i got another new set. ford says this is normal wear amoung cars today because of the one time use rotors. but for me i am waiting on the svt brake kit. from there i will upgrade to some brembo rotors and some hawk pads or something.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You may have a spongy brake pedal. Is this occurrence recent? This often happens in warm weather. When you brake, your brake hoses will expand under pressure. When the weather is warm, they may expand farther than usual. This is normal because the hoses are rubber. This may occur a lot in stop and go traffic b/c the rotors become “glazed” faster (which may explain the shinny aspect of your description), although a picture would help

If your rotor is shinny, then that is normal. It is also normal to have small evenly distributed grooves. However, if they are rigid or deep grooves, then the rotors maybe warped. I doubt that the pads are gone in such a short period. I had warped rotors at around 15K…

Hope this helps…

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
last month i took my wheels off and man where my rotors wwarped and gouged very badly, have no clue why, most liekly from all the oad salt and shit on our roads during the wonter, ya ill prlly just bring them to carquest and have them cut them, im poor and just ordered new wheels

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
thats very premature if they are worn that bad, they should replace them under warranty.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Hey Klondike, don't be too surprised if they don't turn your rotors, they're basically throw-away items now. You can get Brembo blank rotors from the Tire Rack for $43 apiece - and probably well worth it!

·
Registered
797 Posts
looks just my rotors..the pads seem to be too hard or the rotors too soft

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
so dont have them cut, just get new ones, with new brake pads?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'd suggest that you stop going back to the dealer and just bite the bullet and get some quality aftermarket rotors and pads. The stock setup uses a hard pad combined with a soft rotor that results in short pad/rotor life (and subsequently ensures the dealers will have a constant stream of owners bringing their cars in on a routine basis to have their brakes replaced.)

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^exactly, even though the ford brakes are pretty good at stopping....or maybe its just b/c we have light cars. Anyway i recently had to replace my pads, they were basically gone and the inside drivers side one, when they took it off it only had little patches of pads left, and it did eat into the rotor a bit but not enough to mess it up, it was just on the surface. Anyway, i only have 14k miles on it and i dont race it or run it on a track so its premature too. How many miles do you have on yours?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts