Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I love my ZX3 and I think its pretty quick for what it is.

I've been looking at SVT headers @ $270 [mecry]
And K&N Filters @ ~$250 [mecry]
And an exhaust system MORE MONEY!

These are all quite expensive, so what do you think I should do first?
I kinda want these modifications to be worth the money, so how should I go about doing this? Should I do the exhaust, or Filter, or something else?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
SVT Header, CAT, Flex, and 2.5" Cat back (or 3") is one of the best returns on investment there is on the Zetec. However also remember that there is a new oil dip stick and power steering line that is needed. Also to make full use of it a tune is needed.

First thing I would recommend is getting a tune. It will greatly change the general behavior. Then I would recommend the SVT FRPP spring kit (sway-bars, springs, shocks/struts). It will improve handling.

For intake best thing is to just get a K&N drop in filter. if you want more gain from the intake then find a SVT intake snorkel and box and then do the resonator delete. but drop in filter has proven to provide one of the intakes for HP gain. there are a few systems that cost more money and give perhaps 1-2 more HP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SVT Header, CAT, Flex, and 2.5" Cat back (or 3") is one of the best returns on investment there is on the Zetec. However also remember that there is a new oil dip stick and power steering line that is needed. Also to make full use of it a tune is needed.

First thing I would recommend is getting a tune. It will greatly change the general behavior. Then I would recommend the SVT FRPP spring kit (sway-bars, springs, shocks/struts). It will improve handling.

For intake best thing is to just get a K&N drop in filter. if you want more gain from the intake then find a SVT intake snorkel and box and then do the resonator delete. but drop in filter has proven to provide one of the intakes for HP gain. there are a few systems that cost more money and give perhaps 1-2 more HP.
Awesome thanks, I'msaving this to a notepad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have a 2001 zetec se. and a short ram knn cold air intake. i feel it adds maybe 5 hp. it sounds good too (my favorite part) but from what ive heard the svt header and exhaust conversion is great for zetecs. id love to be able to convert mine. personally id go with the svt header and exhaust conversion then the svt suspension then cold air intake. but thats just my personal opinion. good luck![thumb]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 2001 zetec se. and a short ram knn cold air intake. i feel it adds maybe 5 hp. it sounds good too (my favorite part) but from what ive heard the svt header and exhaust conversion is great for zetecs. id love to be able to convert mine. personally id go with the svt header and exhaust conversion then the svt suspension then cold air intake. but thats just my personal opinion. good luck![thumb]
Thanks, go big or go home I guess.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yup. i think im going to get the svt suppension for my SE and be done with it since its my daily driver.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The suspension is only $300. you likely need new springs and struts/shocks any way. it will make it feel better and faster in the turns with out having more power. Also will lower it 1/2 inch or so.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Depending on who you order the SVT suspension through it will come with the springs, struts and rear sway bar if your car doesn't come equipped with it already. As a matter of fact, Steeda has that kit here >>Click here<<. Best bang for your buck when it comes to suspension upgrades for a daily driven car. It's not too aggressive and it won't feel as if you're slammed on the ground but it allows you to have a more spirited drive.

As for the header, you can look around on here and find them cheap for about $100-$150 used. But take into consideration that you would also need a flex-pipe ($50+), catalytic converter or off-road pipe, high pressure power steering line, new dipstick tube and dipstick to complete the install. Then you would need a tune to make it all work right because the SVT header will lean out the regular Zetec motor.

And finally, the K&N drop in filter with the SVT airbox and snorkel would be your best bet. You can find the airbox and snorkel on here fairly cheap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just put a stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust on my car about 2 months ago and bought it online from a company in Florida for $380 with no tax and free shipping. If your looking for a nice growl to your car. If you feel up to the challenge, you can run to your local auto parts store, like Pep-Boys, and make yourself a relatively cheap intake out of a $25 air cone and tubing if you want to go with a short ram intake like I did on mine. For me, the best thing I did to my ZX3 so far was putting lighter rims on it. I pulled my "17 summer rims and tires off and threw my OEM "15 winter shoes on and there was a noticeable difference in acceleration and braking.

I'm not sure if you're still running you OEM rims, but that will make a big difference to start off with. I'm sure your cash strapped like me so little things at a time. The easiest thing to start with would probably be the intake.

·
FF Affiliate
31,171 Posts
A tune should be in all your mods list to ensure the engines safety and to get the best performance
With tuning from me you get free tune updates as you add more NA mods

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts