Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Ford focus 2002 has the break lights always on when I start it. I checked the wiring going to the break lights and seems fine. also, I checked for short circuits and none found...can anyone help? thx!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The brake light activation switch located at the top of the brake pedal may be stuck in the depressed (on) position. Inspect the switch and make sure the plunger moves smoothly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where the break switch is located? in this model, there is no switch or cable going from the break pedal to anywhere. No cables are going out from the pedal nor switches...

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Top of the pedal...
I can't see any reason why Costa Rican cars would be wired differently. In the picture below (manual gearbox), switch is black and grey. Pedal on left is clutch.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Hmmm...interesting and odd.
Sorry, can't help too much more other than to say there must be a means somewhere of activating the brake light circuit. On older vehicles - very old vehicles - they used to use an electrical switch located within the hydraulic circuit lines. Hydraulic fluid movement would trigger the switch and complete the circuit. They went to brake pedal switches because they were more reliable and simpler.
You'll need to check with a local Ford source perhaps to see how it's done in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It could be something as simple as the piece that attaches to the brake pedal that actually presses the switch fell off, therefore when you let off the pedal it never comes into contact with the switch at all and doesn't turn off the brake lights. I just fixed this problem on mine the other day. I would get under there and check to make sure that the pedal is actually touching the switch when you are off the pedal. If that's the case you just need a small spacer so it will touch the switch, I used sticky wheel weights on mine and used lead ones so I could smash them thinner and get just the right thickness.

·
Registered
17,164 Posts
Very odd indeed, can't stop brake lights from being on with no switch, my bet someone has seriously been messing with that car, maybe a 'field' car. Poster location says it all.

You simply MUST have a switch of some sort in there, how every brakelight on the planet works on/off. Must have been one at one time, on second OP pic the brake pedal plate clearly shows what looks like a contact mark from the now not present switch stem.

Could be a hydraulic switch like mentioned but I think not.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, if it WAS working it's certainly been changed from stock.

Might have had the hydraulic switch mentioned added at some time to replace the stock system.

Switches are just a twist lock for installation, could have been removed & tucked up under the dash easily. Someone messin' with you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts