Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my new 2012 Ford Focus (Titainium) hatchback later this week and have been considering what first steps I should be taking as part of the break-in period.

Based on the collective experience of the users here, is there anything you can recommend about do's and don'ts to take upon delivery? (is it still a break-in period for the engine for the first 500 clicks?

Much appreciated!

Ted

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Yes, you shouldn't keep a steady RPM for long periods for the first few hundred miles. Doesn't necessarily mean stomp on it all the time, rather don't get on the freeway and keep it locked at 70 for a few hundred miles.

Or at least that's what I've heard from multiple sources on the matter.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Drive it normally at varying RPM but dont redline the car for about 700 miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
hit 5000 miles with mine, Bosch oil filter and royal purple in it to make it happy, still waiting for the transmission to "break in" my ass... Ford sending a rep to look at my paint and transmission.... have fun with it !

·
Registered
297 Posts
No "steady speed" for the first 1K according to P-5 of that book in the glovebox; I didn't use the cruise control for any extended periods during that time, and only gave it full throttle with great reluctance. Can tell a difference now at 1.8K; the little bugger really has some snap.
Moon

·
Registered
168 Posts
1700 miles, and I just opened it up a few times to see where the power band is.
I need to do the first oil change soon. I wanted to do it earlier, but I have not forced myself to make time for it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you want your rings to seal properly then drive it like you stole it as soon as you get it. I used sport mode a lot and after just 700 miles I can notice a difference already. My mileage is improving also but don't be too concerned about mileage just yet. Read HERE for more info.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you want your rings to seal properly then drive it like you stole it as soon as you get it. I used sport mode a lot and after just 700 miles I can notice a difference already. My mileage is improving also but don't be too concerned about mileage just yet. Read HERE for more info.
That's on theory, and its not wrong. Most engines with tight tolerances (Racing engines) are put through a few heat cycles then run at full power multiple times.
In this case however, driving it normally (don't baby it) and keep varying the RPM as Ford recommends will also result in a good break in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd guess most racing engines don't have 1K miles to wait before they are expected to do what they were built for. Said engines aren't expected to last 100K before a rebuild either.
While I see the logic in the article, I also see a lot of frenetic colors and explanation points and no empirical data.
I'd listen to the guys who actually built (and will have to warrant) your engine.
Moon

·
Registered
747 Posts
Drive like a teenager for a month, done

driving like a granny will only hurt you, besides, you have a warranty

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
But who'd want to listen to the factory? ;)
JSR, any opinion on ambient temperatures and break in? It was a firmly held belief in my family and with an old-time gearhead friend that winter cars didn't break in right.
Moon
I have no first hand experience, however logically it would make a difference due to the longer warm up and shorter cool downs. To what effect it would have, I would only be guessing. If there is indeed an effect I don't think it would be severe enough to worry about, millions of bran new engines are broken in during cold temperatures every year and usually go on to live a good life.

·
Registered
297 Posts
JSR, I've avoided winter car purchases for years on this account, or simply because car shopping and purchase in the winter is a PITA.

In any case, this thread certainly demonstrates the two schools of thought on break-in; it's a done deal for me this time anyway.
Moon

·
Registered
257 Posts
JSR, I've avoided winter car purchases for years on this account, or simply because car shopping and purchase in the winter is a PITA.

In any case, this thread certainly demonstrates the two schools of thought on break-in; it's a done deal for me this time anyway.
Moon
Indeed.

The bottom line is the manufacture isn't going to intentionally send you in the wrong direction, it's in there best interest to advise you on how to correctly break in your engine. If people fallow the directions stated in the manual they won't have an issue. My thought on it, just drive normally, don't rip on it like a rented mule, but don't baby it, and avoid constant RPM/idle.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Indeed.

The bottom line is the manufacture isn't going to intentionally send you in the wrong direction, it's in there best interest to advise you on how to correctly break in your engine. If people fallow the directions stated in the manual they won't have an issue. My thought on it, just drive normally, don't rip on it like a rented mule, but don't baby it, and avoid constant RPM/idle.
This needs to be printed on a T-shirt, done as a wall embroidery, or cut into a brass plate...[thumb]

And as it turns out, that's pretty much how I broke mine in.
Moon

·
Registered
257 Posts
That is bad advice.
It's not a good idea to stomp on a cold engine.
I don't think he was talking about the temperature of the engine.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My take on break in is to go easy on the gas pedal, but let the engine always have easy revs..
Drive normally. and allow variation in the rpm, either by changing the speed a few mph on the freeway drives if using the cruise control, changing it a little every few miles..
Then also revving it some now and then, like on freeway ramps on to the freeway is perfect, run through first second third.. higher RPms now and then..
And once in a great while have it at high rpm and let off the gas totally and let the engine slow you down. totally different inside engine when doing this...
The RPM bursts start out with only going up th say 3,500 then a little higher, and so forth. I would Never hit peak RPMs until several thousand miles.. peak is pretty hard on an engine, and I want it totally broken in otherwise, before i would go for peak rpms..
So that is my way.
Once it is at 3,000 mi or so you can pretty much do whatever you want. it is gonna be the way it is for the rest of it's life by then... for good or bad.
Engines are peculiar. two seem identically made, but they can feel different.
I have always have good luck with engines... so far anyway LOL!!
(it's the oil, change the oil my motto...)
I do have to say I have been not doing my usual stuffas much with the Focus, because of the super gas mileage and low rpm high gearing.. So i have to say I am not even following my own advice all the time here!!
The Focus is such a super gas miser if i just try a little.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
My take on break in is to go easy on the gas pedal, but let the engine always have easy revs..
Drive normally. and allow variation in the rpm, either by changing the speed a few mph on the freeway drives if using the cruise control, changing it a little every few miles..
Then also revving it some now and then, like on freeway ramps on to the freeway is perfect, run through first second third.. higher RPms now and then..
And once in a great while have it at high rpm and let off the gas totally and let the engine slow you down. totally different inside engine when doing this...
The RPM bursts start out with only going up th say 3,500 then a little higher, and so forth. I would Never hit peak RPMs until several thousand miles.. peak is pretty hard on an engine, and I want it totally broken in otherwise, before i would go for peak rpms..
So that is my way.
Once it is at 3,000 mi or so you can pretty much do whatever you want. it is gonna be the way it is for the rest of it's life by then... for good or bad.
Engines are peculiar. two seem identically made, but they can feel different.
I have always have good luck with engines... so far anyway LOL!!
(it's the oil, change the oil my motto...)
I do have to say I have been not doing my usual stuffas much with the Focus, because of the super gas mileage and low rpm high gearing.. So i have to say I am not even following my own advice all the time here!!
The Focus is such a super gas miser if i just try a little.....
I think that's a bit overkill, but whatever floats your boat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts