Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all Happy new year guys [thumb] . Later this year, I will replace my stock radio with a 6 disc cd player. The question is, should I go for Kenwood or Pioneer? Most people think pioneer is better but in my opinion kenwood are not that bad.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
If all you really want out of upgrading is a six-disc changer, why not get ahold of a Ford factory six-disc unit? It'll be a slide-in replacement, and the Audiophile 9006 unit in particular is not bad, it has a fair amount of power to drive the speakers. These can be had on eBay for much less than the cost of a new aftermarket unit. Just a thought...

Here, this is an example. The auction ended, at a cost of 66.00 US dollars. Add shipping, and it's still probably cheaper than any other way to add a six-disc to your car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067010351&category=50556

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I agree with SVT4ME.

I bought a Focus with the 6 disc in Dash.. just so I wouldn't have to worry about ICE for awhile. It works great. Lots of power, and nothing beats the IN DASH. I hate other cars having to go to the trunk to switch around CDs. Just a nuisance.

Crazy Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you, this kenwood model I saw will fit exactly and it can take 6 discs in it. I don't want to mess around with wires, cd changers and stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry mate, can't remember it but I saw it and I can't find it anywhere on the net. Only normal size stereos. Next week I'll go and see it again and write down the model number.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Hmm, that's what I was wondering - it's actually oversized? So it fits the opening in the dashboard without needing a "face" to cover the gap? I haven't seen one like that. Good luck, sounds like it might be a good deal. [thumb]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep it's oversized, it looks like the factory one but it had a wooden colour and kenwood on it. We'll take a pic of it with our mobile if it will be possible.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
if you like the stock look and don't have alot of money to spend on it and don't pla on doing anything else audio wise then go with the factory 6 disk in-dash but the audiofile ones would require rewiring most likely. if you are going to add amps or a sub (not factory) then it's much better to get an aftermarket cd player and changer. that kenwood is probably double din though so you couldn't easily fit it, i don't recommend it. i like aftermarket stuf because if your going to add amps or anything you have the preouts right there, you have crossovers built in, eq's are really nice also, something that factory stuff doesn't gernaeraly offer toher than bass and treble. pioneers are relaly good with their features, that's why i like them best, but you have to get to know the controls well. truthfully, going aftermarket would probably be expensive, i don't know many in-dash 6 disc changers and even then they probably aren't the greatest quality, if your going aftermarket i'd suggest the cheaper model of pioneer for under a hundred and then a 6-disc changer is about $120, but then you'd need a installation kit and wire harness, so your talking about $250 or more. but even better would be the nakamichi mb-100 or mb-70 or any other 6-disc model. they are both 6-disc in-dash players and are the high-end in car audio. they go for like $250 used on ebay, check the completed auctions, but there arne't any up there right now. good luck.

- Scott

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do the 6-disc Audiophile units play mp3s?

Edit: Also how hard is the rewiring from the stock blaupunkt unit? (no sub if that makes a difference)

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Scott. I guess I'll go the route I was originally looking at which is an aftermarket HU with a changer add on, that seems best.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
alpine and pioneer are your best deals. if you want mp3, alpine has a 6 disc mp3 changer that is about $240 shipped, with pioneer it is about $125 for a 6 disc and $135 for a 12 disc changer. this is an estimate of possible options.

Alpine:

CD HU and 6 disc Chagner:
- $275

CD HU and 12 disc Chagner:
- $305

CD HU and 6 disc mp3 player:
- $365

Pioneer:

Cassete HU and 6 disc changer:
- $220

Cassete HU and 12 disc changer:
- $230

CD HU without rotary volume and 6 disc changer:
- $225

CD HU without rotary volume and 12 disc changer:
- $235

CD HU with rotary volume and 6 disc changer:
- $250

CD HU with rotary volume and 12 disc changer:
- $260

MP3 HU without rotary volume and 6 disc changer:
- $280

MP3 HU without rotary volume and 12 disc changer:
- $280

MP3 HU with rotary volume and 6 disc changer:
- $295

MP3 HU with rotary volume and 12 disc changer:
- $295

MP3 HU with rotary volume and OEL Display and 6 disc changer:
- $375

MP3 HU with rotary volume and OEL Display and 12 disc changer:
- $385

for best prices use ebay mainly and other good prices can be had from thezeb.com ; sounddomain.com ; ikesound.com ; carstereopro.com ; mainstreetaudio.com

as you can see pioneer is much cheaper, but alpine is better quality although i don't have any problems with my pioneer stuff. alpine is also alot more user-friendly. hope that helps.

- Scott

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been looking into some and I liked the Blaupunkt Los Angeles MP72 - $315 on shopping.yahoo.com + you can add the 10 CD changer for $149....I really liked how you can use MMC cards (which my MP3 player uses) I'm going to do some more research into the units before I buy because I won't be in the market for a bit I still have to build a new custom box for my subs/amps I have sitting in my garage, I have a lot on my "to do" list lol. But speaking of that what wattage can the stock focus alternator handle? I have two punch 200's, but I'm debating with the hatch now I think I might just hook up the subs up to one and sell the other. Thanks for all that info! And a note to yakof sorry for hijacking your thread [thumb]

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
mmexpress has good prices too by the way but back to your question, it can handle most of what you throw at it if it isn't damaged. i am pulling about 75 amps and about 800 watts probably off mine, just upgrade your main three wiring, alt to positive, chassis to negative, engine block to chassis and you'll be fine most likely, 4 gauge is plenty. the stock alt can take more than i have on it right now; although it will cut down on it's life-time. anda bout the hu, it's up to you but i think alpine or pioneer is much better for the money, i know some people who have liked and hated Blaupunkt hu's, but for the money you can get much better in my opinion.

- Scott

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
you can get it cheaper off ebay. like half the price of that. but i don't really like the 6 disc, i had problems with it, it ate 2 of my cd'sm never got them back, one was alice in chains live, a cd i've replaced 3 or 4 times already, that didn't make me too happy, ford was supposed to replace it but didn't, i got rd of the 6 disc though, alot of people have problems with it.

- Scott

1 - 20 of 22 Posts