Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok tonight i did some work to my 2004 ZX3 2.3L automatic

I changed my rear shoes and drums with brand new parts. At this same time i rotated my tires. Then i took it for a test drive, and my brake light and abs light are now on. Reset the battery, and still on. There are no ABS sensors in the rear end correct??

Also now if i brake hard my ass end locks up on me.

I am fairly handy with car stuff, can do more than the average joe. Anyone else experience this??

My car will be going to the dealership shortly for a number of things, i might have to add this one to the list of issues.

Mileage is 60,xxx

My OEM shoes were hard as a rock and cracked...

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
sounds like it could be a fuse?

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm i doubt it, but i will check that tomorrow, i am done with the car tonight, it drives fine. So after work and class tomorrow i will take a look it that

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
just thought i'd point that out to you, it just remined me of when i put in that kill switch for my traction control. when i disable it (break the fuse); the abs, brake, and tc light will come on.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
do all foci have traction control??? or just SVT.....
i have a ZX3 with an ATX and no other upgrades ('cept the 16" 6 spoke rims)
just wondering.....

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
not all svt have tc, some other non-svt focus' have traction also. i guess it's the winter package. if i remember right, i think my sister's 2000se had traction??? but i can't remember that far back lol

**added** did you figure out the cause yet, chaney?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
if i remember correctly, the fuse # is 46 and should be the same for the zx3, 3rd from the left in the middle row lol

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
mkay thanks ill look into it......
mind you i assume that without ABS you probaby wont have tc???
cause i dont have ABS (its overrated anyways)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Could be one of two things (at least as far as the rear end locking up goes);

1) Your front pads/rotors are almost dead and the drums are actually providing more braking power than the discs

2) Your drum brakes are out of adjustment so braking hard is causing them to lock up. Its also possible that your e-brake cable needs to be loosened, especially if you ever adjusted it before replacing the shoes and drums. With more surface on both sides, if the brake cable is too tight it could be pushing on the shoes even with the handle in the released position. This could also explain the brake light being on.

As far as the ABS light...any number of things could be going on there. I would assume there are ABS sensors on all four corners...it wouldn't do you any good to have pulsing brakes up front and locked brakes in the rear in a situation where you'd need ABS. If there are sensors there (which I believe there are) the brakes being either too powerful in the back or out of adjustment could be throwing the ABS light.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
front pads are still really good, repleaced at 27k (now 60k) look great.

Never adjusted the parking brake. how do i adjust my drums?,

How do i adjust my e-brake cable?

abs sensors will be checked tomorrow, along with a bleeding of the brake lines

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i believe it is the "tone ring" or whatever.

Now to see if i can get a new one as the old one seems welded by rust/brake dust to the old drum

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chaney said:
i believe it is the "tone ring" or whatever.

Now to see if i can get a new one as the old one seems welded by rust/brake dust to the old drum
That was it....all better now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts