Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving tonight I saw a deer and slammed on my brakes. I started to stop, but then I heard a pop and I had my brake pedal pushed to the floor. I still had a little recoil pressure back on the pedal to normal position, and there was a little bit of stopping power as I pushed the pedal but I had to push it to the floor. I think I blew a line, but with it being dark out I have no clue. Also leading up to this point I will mention that when I have been hitting the brakes, and I smell a burning oil/plastic smell. Could this just solidify that it is a blown line that was leaking before? Thanks for all the help fellas! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could have blown a wheel cylinder too. Open your door and pump the brake pedal. If you popped a line you should be able to hear the sound of air being pushed out and sucked back in as you pump the pedal

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Do you have brake fluid on the floor board (carpet)?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just noticed the smell in the past week but didnt notice any change in stopping power. It was dark last night and my girlfriend was in the car she didn't get anything wet on her so I'll have to double check in the car if there is fluid on the carpet but I doubt it.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
Check right below the brake pedal. Usually drips down the pedal onto the floor if it is the master cylinder.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I blew the back right wheel cylinder... idk about the smell though
Sounds like you'll be replacing a wheel cylinder & looking at the shoes....

·
Registered
17,433 Posts
Look at other wheel cylinder too, these are pretty sucky about rear cylinder life, they die much faster than other cars do. Thinking it's the semi-metallic dust getting under the dust seals to wear parts bad. Almost every one I pull down has the rears leaking way early.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Replace both rear wheel cylinders, shoes and springs/hardware. Also give a close inspection to the flexible hoses (I would just replace them also).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys all taken care of blew out the wheel cylinder in the drum. if you guys don't mind i have a new problem that needs fixin... check out my newer thread in this section. thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts