Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all the other threads about EBC and using Mintex pads... I've been to Raybestos' website and they seem to have some good things too. Someone here went to BAT and bought the "stock replacement"... how is that? I want to know how good that is before I decide to purchase that. If anyone has any inputs, please let me know! If I can't get replacement rotors, I might have to stick with resurfacing it (temp. fix) which is what I DON'T want to do.

Danke![:D]

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For general street driving you can't go wrong with Raybestos, Bendix , etc. They make good products and probably manufacture the majority of the brakes that come on new cars. They're just not as glamorous. If you're going to use your car for autocross (Solo) or do lapping with it then a high performance STREET pad is the way to go. Mintex, Hawk, Axxis, and Performance Friction all make well respected performance pads for the street. I have used Mintex, Hawk HPS, and Axxis Metalmasters. Of the three I preferred the Axxis. They had good bite and were very clean. The Hawks worked very well but were dirtier and wore faster. The mintex were a compromise of the other two but if I remember correctly, were cheaper making them the budget performance pad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Geezer.

I'm actually looking into getting both the pads and the front rotors. I'm considering the EBC slotted rotors and Mintex or EBC pads.

What would your other suggestions be for front rotors?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have power slot front rotors, excellent stopping power, no corrosion and Ive had them for about 15k miles now and no signs of visible wear yet!

BTW, I drive them really hard

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I have always been a fan of using a good performance street pad, braided hoses, and stock/oem rotors. If I had money to flaunt and absolutely needed serious stopping power I would spend it on oversized discs (no slotting or crossing drilling) but with lots of internal venting and twin piston calipers (Wilwood, Baer, AP, or Alcon with a matching pad by the same manufacurer... we're talking some serious money with the latter two). You do not need such a setup for street driving including autocross. Do not waste your money on a premium pad unless you have your rotors resurfaced or get new ones. While I will get flamed for saying this...They are no substantiated facts that a stock size slotted and or crossed drilled rotor with a performance pad will stop any faster than a new solid rotor with the same pad. If you want the biggest bang for the buck for street, lapping, or solo a fresh solid rotor, performance pads and braided lines is the way to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just like Euro, I have the EBC stock replacements and the Mintex pads. Very nice. BAT has them on special right now for $109 plus shipping (around $120 or so total). Very nice upgrade. Car stops much better now. Petty decent shipping time to boot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Powerslots

I have Powerslot with Hawk pads. It works well.

Good rotors (not the crappy Ford ones) will improve it anyway you can.

I have over 30K on the Hawk Pads witht the PowerSlots. They stop like a charm. You can find it all out at www.powerslot.com. They do not sell them directly, but you cna find them all over the internet. By the way, they look good too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, including Geezer, for all the excellent inputs.

Eventually, I spent about $120 for new pads (Raybestos) and had my rotors resurfaced. I did all this at Brakemasters (west coast company). They guarantee their pads for life, so all I have to do from now on is go back there, pay for labor, and have those pads replaced for free.

No one knew this, but I had an accident with the Focus about a month and a half ago. I will post the pictures on the general forum. (This is the edit - pictures too big. If you want to see them, email me ([email protected]) and I'll send some to you)

Ever since the vehicle was repaired, it doesn't drive the same. I'm now seriously considering getting a Volvo S60-R or a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. We'll see how things work out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Resurfaced Rotors

Watch out even within specs, after very little pad wear, you may get shimmy when you stop. The factory rotors when minimally turned (even if still above minimum book thickness) do not track properly.

By the way, you may not have to pay for pads again, but next time, you will likely have to pay for rotors. While this other stuff will need to be done one way or another, they will give you the pads which have minimal cost to get you back for more expensive repairs.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
i got mine from bat and they are working out great. got the rotors + pads for 120. install wasnt very tough at all either.
what exactly did u buy euro link me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts