Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my front pads like I have a hundred times before. Finished, pumped the brake pedal, and it pumped up nicely. I started the car, and hit the pedal again, and it dropped to the floor.

I thought that a little strange, since I didn't get any air in the system when I did the pad swap, but I broke out the vacuum bleeder anyway and bled both sides. Had a nice firm pedal with the car off, but when I started it and had the assistance of power brakes, it went to the floor again.

I bought speed bleeders to make sure I wasn't getting any air in there, bled them again, and had the same results.

Brought my wife out to the car, had her pump the pedal for me while I opened and closed the speed bleeders... same results.

There is no leak anywhere I can see, no fluid loss in the reservoir, but no brake presure. It doesn't seem like the master cylinder would fail immediately with a change of pads. On another site I found a similar situation to mine, and they ended up replacing the caliper- I can't see how a caliper would cause the pedal to hit the floor without leaking.

On the positive side, I have performed a complete flush of the front brake lines now...

Any ideas? I have never had any issues like this with brakes in the past.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Yeah, a caliper can do that. Here's what happens: the rubber seal sticks and holds the piston away from the rotor. When you step on the brake, the piston moves toward the rotor, but it's so far away that you use up all your stroke before the pad touches the rotor. By now the seal still hasn't slid on the bore. It's stretching, and when you take your foot off the brake, it pulls the piston right back where it started from. The most likely time for this to happen is right when you change your pads, because you've pushed the pistons back in the bore, where the walls may no longer have a proper finish for smooth sliding.

Raise both wheels and have the missus slowly step on the brake, See if both brakes apply evenly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked- both pistons fully against the pads, pads being pushed evenly on the rotor. I'm thinking master cylinder at this point. If that does it, I'll post the result- after seeing your signature line it would be dickish not to!

Ryan

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
What makes my Ford Focus 2001 when pedal is pressed to the floor and no brakes?
Ford made your 2001 Ford Focus.

Now, please rephrase your question.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.

What makes no brakes when pedal to floor?

Total loss of brake fluid, need to check for leaks - then repair & bleed system.

Broken pedal, not pushing on brake master cyl. is the less likely possibility.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Bleeding" the brakes is required to refill the lines, it won't happen just by adding fluid.

Then at some point it will leak out of the bad line (pipe) or hose as the pedal is pressed.

It is necessary to use the bleeder screws at each brake to pump fluid through the lines, the air in there needs a way to get out before brakes will work again.

Brakes only work when the brake lines are filled with fluid to transmit pressure to each brake assembly, with a hole in the system you don't get that pressure so the brakes won't work.

A single hole results in partial braking, as it is a double system to prevent total brake loss. Likely more than one problem there, was it driven on partial brakes for a while? Or is this a car that sat until brake lines rusted away so they will not work.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Debiaa, if those skills are all you have, you are HIGHLY advised to take the car somewhere to get it fixed, you know only enough to get you MUCH deeper into trouble and brakes are not the thing to be learning from square one.....................

If the problem showed up instantly you have a brake failure and no amount of fluid is going to fix that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts