Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have no idea what to do about this. I have an 03 SVT and whenever the temps dip below freezing my rear breaks will seize up if the E-brake is on. I figured maybe it was the brake fluid so i had it changed. Still does it, so i have just been parking it and leaving it in gear for now but its annoying when u forget and have to go to class in the morning. I also have steel braided lines so is that an issue?

·
Registered
393 Posts
It is likely the actual cable from the e-brake handle to the rear brakes that is freezing. It is a common problem on all cars going back to the beginning of time. Best policy is to refrain from using the e-brake during the winter. There is no "fix" that I'm aware of to stop them from freezing in the first place.

Of course, to get them unfrozen, some time in a garage or hair dryer to the cable will do the trick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys, the line is the problem im gonna take it to the shop soon, think i fried my rear breaks with them stickin the entire ride to work and school lol

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Often the problem is a bit of moisture/grime at the ends of the cable that freeze and stop the cable from moving in the sheath. The solution is to clean the wire cable end and apply some grease to stop moisture from entering the area where the cable extends/slides from the sheath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts