Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 ZX3 5-speed and the brakes are starting to annoy the heck out of me. 7k into it the back started to squeak (I thought it was the fronts but dealer said backs). So they replaced it cause they said that there was actually an issue with the rear brakes squeaking and that Ford realeased a better set of brakes that did not squeak. So now 12k into it the squeaking is back with a vengence. Not it seems like its coming from everywhere and all sides. I took the front wheels off to see if there was a rock caught inbetween the brake pads and rotors and noticed that the rotors where not smooth at all. If you ran your finger down the rotors it felt like you were going over hills. This didnt seem to normal to me, as i've done brake jobs in cars before and never seen anything like this. Its as if the brake are harder than the rotors and the brakes are grinding away the rotors. Funny thing is there is no vibration when stoping. I have an appointment to take it in next wednesday (2-21-06) to have then checked out, but until then I have to deal with the unbearable squeal. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
did ford resurface the rotors if not the rotors are the problem replace them w/ powerslot rotors or brembo. way better them fords. i said that because i'm a tech for ford jaguar and cadillac. the rotors are euro spec they are softer them us spec rotors

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
The dealer wouldn't resuface my rotors on an 05.
They said that they are too thin and where basically 'disposible' rotors.

I had the same issue with squealing rear brakes and had them perform the TSB on them and no squeals ever since.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I had the TSB instructions but alldata removed it.

It basically has the dealer install some weights on the rear to stop the vibration that causes the squeal from occurring.

The ford tsb number is 05-10-5

FORD: 2000-2005 Focus
(It might effect the 2006 as well since this came out just last year before
the 2006 hit the market.)

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2005 Focus vehicles (excluding vehicles equipped with rear disc brakes) may exhibit a squealing noise from the rear drum brakes during stopping. This may be caused by a resonance traveling through the rear drum brake backing plates.

ACTION:
Install damping weights to the rear (under vehicle side) of the rear drum brake backing plates. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: READ THIS ENTIRE PROCEDURE BEFORE BEGINNING. THE ADHESIVE USED IN THIS TSB BEGINS TO CURE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER DISPENSING. HAVE THE DAMPING WEIGHTS POSITIONED ON A TRAY OR WORKBENCH SO THE ADHESIVE MAY BE QUICKLY APPLIED, AND THE WEIGHTS IMMEDIATELY MATED TO THE BACKING PLATE. ADDITIONAL ADHESIVE MIXING TUBES MAY BE REQUIRED IF THE ADHESIVE CURES INSIDE TUBE BEFORE COMPLETING STEP 12. OBTAIN ADDITIONAL MIXING TUBES LOCALLY IF REQUIRED.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
Remove both rear wheels.
Clean the damping weight adhesion area on the rear of both brake backing plates with Brake Cleaner (PM-4) (Figure 1).
Scuff the damping weight adhesion area on the rear of both brake backing plates with a Scotch-Brite pad (Figure 1).
Wipe adhesion areas with isopropyl alcohol (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 05-10-5
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/pubs/auxf/~WT/USENIE/1923/tb8214b.gif

Tear off nine (9) pieces of duct tape approximately 2 inches long (50 mm). The tape is used to hold weights to backing plate later in procedure.
Insert adhesive cartridge into Rotunda 501-040 applicator gun.
Dispense a small amount of adhesive from the cartridge to insure even flow of both components.
Attach a mixing tip (included with adhesive cartridge).
Trim 1/2" (13 mm) from the end of the mixing tube (Figure 2).

Figure 2 - Article 05-10-5

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/pubs/auxf/~WT/USENIE/1922/tb8215a.gif

Dispense a mixing tubes length of adhesive to insure proper component mixture.
Apply a 3/8" (10 mm) bead of adhesive to the rear of each damping weight, nine (9) weights per backing plate.
Quickly mate the damping weights to the backing plate adhesion areas. Apply enough pressure to the weights to squeeze out a small amount of adhesive (Figure 1).
NOTE: IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE DAMPING WEIGHTS BE PLACED ON THE BACKING PLATES AS SHOWN IN FIGURE 1. IF REPOSITIONING OF THE WEIGHTS IS NECESSARY DO NOT PULL THE WEIGHTS AWAY FROM THE BACKING PLATE. SLIDE THE WEIGHTS AS NECESSARY.

NOTE: THE DAMPING WEIGHTS MUST BE INSTALLED WITHIN ONE (1) MINUTE OF APPLYING THE ADHESIVE AS THE ADHESIVE BEGINS TO CURE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY.

Tape each damping weight into position using duct tape pieces from Step 6.
Let adhesive cure for 15 minutes.
Remove tape.
Install both rear wheels.
Lower vehicle.
Let adhesive cure for 1 hour before driving vehicle.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5S4Z-1040-B Damping Weight
4U7Z-19B508-A Fusor 143 Adhesive

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took her in yesterday and the conclusion was the the rear cylinders in the back were bad and they had to put on more new upgraded brake pads. I guess the first shop that had it should have changed the cylinders but didnt and it caused more problems down the road. The above listed brake squeak correction doesn't apply to the 06 and above (thats what I was told atleast) and the car after the repair job is once again sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts