Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got a few questions i was wondering on getting some feedback and thoughts on.

Firstly im in Australia so some items are hard to come by and i try and get some/most i can from the US. Secondly i dont do track days but would like to do maybee one or two in the future and maybee a Hill Climb or two. I will be looking to Turbo my focus in the new year (very slowly) to about 250whp no more.

So regarding my brake setup ive read alot and asked alot and still havent been able to come to a solid conclusion.

At the moment im stuck in between two setups (3 maybee), They are:

Setup 1 - Most OEM of the lot, upgrade to 05 Spindles use DBA SVT rotor and get Mustang GT Twin Piston Caliper and Hawks Pads with custom bracket.

Setup 2 - 05 Spindles again,DBA Mustang 1 (Bullet) 330mm Rotors redrilled in 4x108 with Mustang Cobra Calipers and Hawks Pads and custom bracket

Setup 3 - 05 Spindles , Focus RS Brembo Calipers with EBC 325mm Rotors and EBC Redstuff Pads and custom Bracket.

Setup1 would be the cheapest of the lot, and setup 2 and 3 roughly about the same.

SO my question is, would setup1 do the job just as good as setup 2? i know setup 2 would look badass under my 17" ST170 wheels, but i dont like how the cobra caliper doesnt use the whole 100% of the rotor especially for the increase in price over the GT ones.

Feeling very confused as to what would suit my needs.

Kind Regards,
Sean.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well 250 WHP so about 300 Engine HP.

Would the SVT Swap be suitable for that with a good pad and disc Combo?

if i threw in a PBR twin piston caliper would that be even better/good enough?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
well 250 WHP so about 300 Engine HP.

Would the SVT Swap be suitable for that with a good pad and disc Combo?

if i threw in a PBR twin piston caliper would that be even better/good enough?
Yea the svt setup is a great step. W/ the PBR calipers you'll have a lighter & bigger calipers. The GT uses the pin guilded calipers where the Cobra/ C-4 Vettes use the pad guilded calipers. The later ones use 40mm pistons vs 38 mm of the earlier ones. The 17'' svt wheels fit over those calipers no problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Felix,

I noticed that the Mustang GT Calipers have a space/area on the SVT rotor where they do not use from the pad.

Ive found localy (In Australia) that our Ford Falcon's use a Twin Piston Caliper PBR on a 298mm Rotor. i can grab a set for about $120 off a wrecker and clean them up a abit.

Im just wondering if they would fit alright on the SVT 300mm Rotor.

Edit:

Sorry what i meant to say is that i think the Falcon Caliper will have a larger swept area on the 300mm SVT rotor than the Mustang GT rotor. Reason i believe this is the Mustang GT Rotor is (from the googleing i have found) 276mm and the caliper is designed to use as much of that rotor as possible.

Where as in my thought process i would like to think that a Caliper for a rotor using 298mm would use/have a larger swept area than the caliper for the 276mm rotor.

Please correct me if im wrong.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea, you'd have more swept area using the 300mm rotor vs the 276mm rotor. What PBR calipers are they? The pin guilded ones or the pad guilded ones?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not 100% sure, im thinking maybee Pad guided?

here is a link to an example of them on ebay. These have been "refurbished/Remanufactured" so they are pretty much new.

Here

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Link doesn't work. The Cobra's used the pad guilded ones & the GT;s used the pin guilded ones.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers mate, will do.

Only issue now is finding a SVT Focus Rear set of Calipers & Mounting Brackets/Hardware.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah will find some.

going to go for the 05-07 ST Rear brakes.
Flea bay doesnt seem to have much going on.... /sigh another downside for not living in the states.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea, could always move over here, just bring a Falcon w/ you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HAHAHA yeah sure, Just one Falcon? which one would you prefer hahah?

the F6 or the GT-F.

Also, does the rear caliper require a different mouting hardware? or do i just buy the caliper and mount it up?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
HAHAHA yeah sure, Just one Falcon? which one would you prefer hahah?

the F6 or the GT-F. I believe it'd be the gt-f, the one w/ the v/8. A real shame that ford is discontiuned them soon.

Also, does the rear caliper require a different mouting hardware? or do i just buy the caliper and mount it up?
you'll need the caliper bracket as you see in that tce kit. That changes it from a 10'' to a 11.75'' rotor setup.

If your starting w/ drums, you'd need the disc brake spindle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive already got Rotors on the rear, 253mm ones. the braket your talking about, i thought the rear SVT's where 280mm? 11.75 is close to 293mm.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Ive already got Rotors on the rear, 253mm ones. the braket your talking about, i thought the rear SVT's where 280mm? 11.75 is close to 293mm.
Just get the tce kit & you don't have to worry about anything. the tce brackets work better w/ the 253mm ones you have, then the 280mm ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts