Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I have an 2002 zx3...about 2 months ago i noticed a slight scraping noise under braking...low and behold....it dissappeared...when i got my car inspected a month abgo the guy said my brakes werent wearing propperly..he said it was wearing uneven

once again i have the same scrapping noise under braking..but it happens when am turning now also...and just tonight...it started...and wont go away....

WHAT IS WRONG!?!? i dont know much about brakes

are my rotors f'd??? pads shot???? calipers frozen?

i wouldnt mind upgrading to the ebc rotors and green stuff pads if you have any sugestions...but i have no idea what is wrong...if its pads...then i would just do those first

HELP!

thanks again...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
? do you know what th scraping could be from? what brake lube are u talking about?

noise was only under braking before...but now is almost constant....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
sometimes, under the rarest of circumstances.... a pebble can get lodged between the pad and the rotor...

If you can jack the car up into the air (supported by jackstands)
with the car in neutral, spin each hub, and inspect it fully...

·
Registered
274 Posts
on the calipers theres two rails the pads sit on those need to be cleaned and smooth and a dab of grease applied.Rust could be there which could cause binding and noise. As for the EBC rotors I use the sport rotors with red pads.Theres a chirping sound from the pads but I believe its from the ceramics change in temp. But they do stop unreal.Green or red you wont get any fade and nothing but happy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...took off my wheel jut now....and there is definatley some rotor scoring... and on the left from inner pad...there is no pad there.... :( how that happened is beyond me...i found a guide online and am gonna try to get my shit running cause i got to get to teh other county today by 7....some shit pads should do me alright...even those it scored to shit....but ill pick up some ebcs and green stuff from somewhere....any sugesstions on shops?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Brake pads and rotors are easy to do...all you need is a jack, jack stand, lug wrench, 7mm allen key and something to compress the caliper like a c-clamp with (in addition to the rotors and pads.) All you have to do is jack and support the car, remove the wheels and take the calipers off with the allen wrench (on the back side of the caliper there's two rubber stoppers covering allen head bolts.) Once you remove the bolts, the calipers pull off and you compress the pistons back down and replace the pads and rotors. There's really no reason to not do it yourself, considering you'll get ripped off at most shops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all...i got that done... put new pads on at least to hold me over....some shitty pads...but they stop at least...i am gonna replace the rotors...any places with cheap prices besides ebay?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
or do u all have any other cheaper alternatives that work as well for rotors...drilled slotted etc..

EDIT*

I mean recomnedations

1 - 11 of 11 Posts