Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was browsing on ebay and I found these. Not really in the market for rotors but I will be pretty soon. I was wondering if these are crap. They are a really good price but I am thinking they are like every other ebay item. There were a ton of other items like this but they all looked pretty much the same. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i dont have any experience with drilled rotors, but dont nondrilled rotors stop better on the street. unless you like the look of them or autocross im pretty sure solid rotors are better: more surface area and cheaper.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am gonna start up with autocross, but yea that is what I have heard. This car will be for autox and will also be my DD. I just want some good rotors. I am gonna get some hawk pads but I still don't know what I want for the rotors.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thats what I am hoping. For that price you can't beat it. But I don't want to waste that money on some crap rotors instead of putting it towards some quality rotors.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
some people on here like the R1 Concepts rotors, drilled rotors have a tendency to crack over time. i would look into blank rotors or powerslot with hawk pads would be a good setup

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the powerslot with hawk was the orignal plan but then I saw these and got to thinking. But I know powerslot are good but I was just getting all the options.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Get dimpled rotors not drilled. Dimpled help reduce heat just about as well as drilled. If your going for auto X you might want to keep some heat in your brake to help stop due to the fact you should be doing any heavy breaking. You want to keep the heat in the breaks so you don't have to heat up the breaks for a 60 second run. Breaks work the best with a little heat in them, not alot.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A solid rotor with a performance pad and/or shoe is the way to go. A drilled/slotted rotor will not stop you faster, will in all likelihood develop spider web cracks, and will cause your pads to wear significantly faster. Brembo or Centric solid rotors are quality units and may even cost less especially in the long run.

Please read some of the brake stickies at the top of this section.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
If they aren't cast w/ holes, then don't bother. It is better for u to go w/ a solid rotor and a good set of pads.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
ok powerslot it is! Thanks everyone!

May I ask how you arrived at this decision since this brand was never discussed in this thread. Regardless of the brand...you would be better off with a solid rotor...but heck if you've got the bucks to throw away, have at it.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I bought some ebay ones that were drilled...

They rust REALLY bad....both inside and out in no time.

Right now I'm running EBC rotors and Pads... They are worth the money!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
May I ask how you arrived at this decision since this brand was never discussed in this thread. Regardless of the brand...you would be better off with a solid rotor...but heck if you've got the bucks to throw away, have at it.
How is powerslot not a solid rotor?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
How is powerslot not a solid rotor?
Powerslot is known for their slotted rotors, thus their name. I have never seen a rotor without slots made by them before. Once again Brembo or Centric would be excellent options. I haven't heard one FF member using either of these options (there's lots of us) complain about them either from a performance or quality standpoint.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brembo's cost is too much for me, and I don't know much about centric. I have read that powerslot and hawk pads was a great setup, but maybe not. Time to do some research.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am planning on doing some autox too in '09 and I will be putting on Centrics and Hawk pads and also oem shoes on back. Just throwing this out here.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Brembo's cost is too much for me, and I don't know much about centric. I have read that powerslot and hawk pads was a great setup, but maybe not. Time to do some research.
How much are you expecting to spend? Brembos or Centrics are available in the 45.00 to 60.00 area (per rotor). If that's too stiff go to your local NAPA dealer and ask for the premium rotors. Good chance you get rotors that say made in Italy.....aka Brembo!

·
Banned
894 Posts
I think focusboy5 is thinking of the big brake kit from Brembo, rather than the standard rotors that you are talking about, Geezer.

I would go with the Brembo or Centric rotors and some nice pads such as Hawk HPS or something comparable. The Centric rotors are available from CFM for $106 a pair for the front of an 05-07 Focus. Powerslot rotors from CFM are ~$100 each, so you're looking at ~$200 for Powerslot or $106 for Centric.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts