Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everyone,

I was thinking of replacing the brakes. They are around 50 percent at 25,000. Just the shoes so I do not have to cut the rotors. Tired and Tired of the brake dust on the wheels. I have the 17 stock ones and they are a pain to keep clean. Any recommendations for replacement that have almost no dust? Ceramic maybe?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Howdy Everyone,

I was thinking of replacing the brakes. They are around 50 percent at 25,000. Just the shoes so I do not have to cut the rotors. Tired and Tired of the brake dust on the wheels. I have the 17 stock ones and they are a pain to keep clean. Any recommendations for replacement that have almost no dust? Ceramic maybe?
I thought I read somewhere that the stock pads are ceramic. I replaced pads on all 4 wheels around 80,000 and there was probably 50% pad life remaining. I swapped em out anyway (sorry can't remember what brand) with semi metallics and I've noticed more brake dust since I've swapped em out.

If you have rear discs make sure you rent a press tool that twists as it presses the caliper in from a parts store.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
80K!! what you have a hole in the floor board and do the flintstone's braking maneuver?
LOL I have never made it past 35K without at least changing the front pads on any car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like to coast when coming to a stop to save on gas:) most of my miles are hwy miles too. I've never had stock brake pads go that long though and still have so much left on em.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I read the same thing - stock pads are ceramic.

I changed my rears at about 86k miles - and I'm guessing I still had over 30% pad life left. I bought the rear pads from NAPA - premium ceramic, SS SS8248, but I think they still have a slightly more brake dust than the OEM pads.

I'm still on the original front pads, but they're likely due for a change soon. The coasting to a stop and all highway miles really help. [wiggle]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Unfortunately dust is something you can not hide from. Your going to have it no matter what you buy. Not sure if you get them for the Focus or not but they do sell dust shields that are suppose to cut down brake dust. Also there are wheel coatings that you can buy and put are your wheels. I think armor- all and Mequires have a spray

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It depends on the makeup of the pad material. For a DD, I like the Napa adapt advance= top top shelf ones. Look for a ceramic pads. Turn or replace the rotors & grease the slide pins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts