Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I've got an 06 ZX3 SE Sport, with less than 1000 miles on it so far.
The brake pedal feels "squishy" all of the time, ie: feels like too much travel to get anything to happen. Also, on first cold startup in the AM, it feels like i have no brakes at all. Pedal to the floor and still moving (from low speed). Kinda scary, ya know?
The brakes seem to make a grinding noise when applied as well.
Is this normal? Or am I being too picky?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just like if you were to do a brake job with new pads and rotors your breaks need time to settle and match the pad to rotor well and get good full surface bite but, that should only take 10-20 good stops from highway speeds to parked. Your car is still under full warranty and this sounds like a major safety issue. They will have no choice but to fix it. My best guess is your car had an air bubble in the system from day one.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Bleed those brakes! Cheap and quick at any corner auto store. Air can get in the lines as was said above, and it compresses under pressurem, unlike liquid.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If you're under a year or 15K miles, take it to the dealer.
They will fix whatever is wrong for free.

*The brakes are only under warranty for 1year/15K miles, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
Had it in to the dealer and got the usual "we can't duplicate the problem". Idiots.
Told them that I wasn't accepting that answer on a major safety issue. They agreed to bleed the system and "adjust'. Got it back and still doing the same thing. They refused to give me any paperwork on the repair because bleeding the brakes is not under warranty. WTF? The car had 1200 miles on it when they worked on it.
Took it back after I hit a parking lot divider (car would NOT stop).
They have had my Focus for 2 weeks now, still can't diagnose the problem, and are waiting for a new master cyl to arrive. They seem to think that this is the only piece of the system that could be bad.
Question: does the Focus have a vacuum assist? Does this sound like a low vac issue?
If they don't get it right this time, i'll take it to a different dealer for one last attempt. If they can't fix it, it's lemon law time.
Thanks for letting me vent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts