Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the setup of our front brakes, the caliper seems to be integrated into the upright. Being so, what sort of upgraded brakes can you do? Just better rotors and pads at this point? I ask because my daily commute includes a three-mile downhill run (at high speeds, of course!) that's VICIOUS on brakes. The SVT doesn't fade much, but I would much rather have no fade.

Also, has anyone else tried this? Looking at the front foglight mounts, it looks like it would be childs play (especially on driver's side) to remove the foglights and run some sort of ~2.5" ducting through to the front rotors for cooling purposes. Has anyone tried this, and if so, is there anything specific I need to look out for?

·
Registered
875 Posts
itsnotaZX3 said:
I ask because my daily commute includes a three-mile downhill run (at high speeds, of course!) that's VICIOUS on brakes.
Worst case, keep 'er in 3rd![;)]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: Re: brake question

knightm3 said:
Worst case, keep 'er in 3rd![;)]
yea i got to agree with knightm3 she may run at a high rpm but you should slow and not have to use your brakes as much or not at all on that hill and anywere else to conserve your brakes use the engine to slow you down[thumb]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHAHA, I do, I do. Watching me drive that hill on a good-weather day is like watching an episode of Initial D. I heel and toe all my downshifts, but the speeds I run it at requires use of the brakes heavily. It's just too fun of a road to drive at legal speeds. Tons of switchbacks and hairpins, it's massively fun. Hence, faded brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buying brake pads and rotors sooner than most doesn't bother me, I just don't want them to fade when I'm heading into a hairpin at 130+

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
If you use your brakes correctly and not use them when you are'nt suppose to you wont have any problems. Only way to heat them up to fade levels is to ride them the whole way down. 3 miles is not very far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it's not very far. The run typically takes me about two minutes. But it's something like this:
brake from 145 to 45.... run for twelve seconds or so.... brake from ~100 to 25... run for five seconds, brake from 70 to 35.... etc, etc. And the hill is fairly steep. Trust me, I know how to drive and they still get faded by the end. Not very faded, I just lose most of my pedal feel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most of the heat probably comes from braking for the first hairpin, it's after a 2.5 mile downhill straight, hence doing above 140 when I hit my braking points...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do they make a kit for the SVT though? Seems like you'd have to cut apart the upright to get any kind of bigger rotor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am interested too. I was lucky and got do three laps at Willow Springs (Big Track) on Saturday for free. Never hit 140 though, just about 100 into Turn 8 was the fastest I saw (shifting at 5500 because the car is new).

The next time at the track I plan to do 6 or 7 lap sessions and start to push the car. I bet I will tax the stock brakes then.

Brakes are just so expensive...I may buy the set of drilled and slotted rotors on EBAY...

C&D did an article on brakes for the WRX and Stoptech were the cheapest and performed as well as the most expensive Brembo Kit.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Okay, so this is a switchback road on the side of a hill ? Thats different. However, going from 145 to 45 then back up to 100 then back to 25 is going to heat up any brakes. Have you tried going a little slower than 145 ? Baer has a kit for the focus. I dont know if it will fit the SVT. We will pray for your soul when you go over the side of the hill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the prayers, but I've been driving that hill every day for six years, so I even know the stains in the concrete by now. the SVT isn't the fastest car I've ever had on there, either. Used to have an AWD 1st gen Eclipse with about 400hp, that thing was a beast. Of course, the SVT is a total dream in the corners...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, brembo makes an SVT kit with a 12.9 rotor and 4-piston caliper for $2500. Or I could get a Baer Track kit with 4-piston calipers and a 13.0 inch rotor for $685. Hm...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Can you please give me more info on the BAER brake kit for $685?

I have an article from C&D (9/02) that tested 4 brake kits on a WRX. Brembo F50 ($2995), Brembo Lotus ($2595), Prodrive ($1999), and Stoptech ($1695).

The Stoptech did really well, during the 25 stops in a row from 90mph to 0mph it came in second behind the F50 kit! The graph was impressive!

So I figured I would have to save up about $1700 if they made a kit for the SVTF... I just about gave up and was going to get the drilled and slotted rotors from EBAY and do some other mods like pads and hoses.

But $685 is a lot easier on the ol budget.

TIA

Ray

·
Registered
875 Posts
Look at Brembo, Bear, Alcon, and Willwood for your big brake kits.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ive heard good things about Bear kits, seen a couple turbo civics run them with great results, never seen a focus run one, but I would assume it performs well too. Its probably close to the Brembo kit and you just end up paying more because its....well brembo....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, baer makes a front brake kit for $685 for the SVT. You can put it on a regular focus, too, but you need SVT spindles. Check their website.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What about a slotted/drilled rotor upgrade? I see them all the time on ebay. It might be a good/cheap way to add some cooling.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried aftermarket pads? I'm thinking Carbon Metallic Z-Rated or Porterfield's R4S compound. That and some cooling ducts ought to do the job, the front rotors are plenty adequate IMHO. I just wish my wife would let me take mine to the track!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts