Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe this has been answered in another thread, but im looking to replace (upgrade) mt front and rear brakes. not looking to spend G's but know im gonna spend some money. i was looking into upgrading to the svt front and rear disc's. is that a good investment, oor is there something better for the same price?? please any info will do.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you want to doit for less go to the junkyard and find wrecked ZTS and grab the rear brakes off of it, then put the oem brembo upgrade kit on the front. You will need the e-brake cable,rear hubs, calipers and just buy the rotors. I learned from a few people that this set-up is pretty close to the svt set-up. when I have enough money Im going to get the RS brembos from what I ve heard other focus owners they are the best for the car. the first set-up will cost around $500.00 www.massivespeedsystem.com(front upgrade kit) and for the RS style Brembos about $2500.00. The svt upgrade is I think $1000.00 f/r. good luck on your choice [thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
FRPP SVT brake kit, MSRP'd at $1,000 but I've seen inital offers as low as $850 + S&H (which will be high...~$150 or so.) Includes everything you need to upgrade a non-SVT Focus with SVT brakes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Check with Steave at trously ford, he sells the SVT Brake kit for $749 plus $65 shipping on greyhound. I belive his price is invoice +10%. Then their is Recardo with F2Focus he sells them for Invoice + 3%. Not sure how much that is though. It should be cheaper than Steave. Oh then their are the SS Brake lines u should really get at the same time, they are $100+. Or u can send an E-Mail to SVT Salvage I belive a used SVT Brake kit from him is $500 + shipping.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about the rotors i see on ebay?? trash or something to look at??? not a bad price from what i see

·
Registered
738 Posts
Depends on the Brand post up some item #'s and we'll let u know

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Are you talking about just upgrading the rotors and pads, or do you want to do an entire brake system? If you want the SVT brakes you need more than just the rotors, you need spindles, calipers, brake lines, rotors, pads, e-brake cables...basically an entire kit.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The SVT kit is a nice upgrade for not a fortune. The svt kit and some stainless lines makes a good improvement. There are better kits available, but you get into big money fast. I have a Baer big brake kit on my mustang, and it works fanatastic, but it was 2100 bucks, too.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I'm always in the minority here when it comes to rear brakes, but you don't need to go to the expense of adding rear discs to improve your braking. My suggestion, which will save you lots of money and result in an excellent package is as follows:

Brembo solid rotors up front,
Have rear drums turned/trued,
Mintex AF (Bat Inc.) or if you want an upgrade over those, Porterfied R4S pads and shoes (Livermore),
New brake fluid (Castrol LMA or Valvoline Syntec....you don't need race fluids for the street),
and if you feel the need to splurge... some DOT approved braided brake lines and speed bleeders.

You'll be very happy with this setup and still have some cash for something else.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Here's some interesting numbers. I searched Motor Trend and other magazine tests to get 60 to 0 braking numbers.

2004 SVT 118 ft
2005 ST 127 ft.
2005 ZX5 131 ft.
2005 SE 134 ft

Please note that the ST had four wheel discs, the ZX5 and SE do not. Also another VERY important factor to note is that the ZX5 and SE were both on 15 inch wheels (meaning smaller tires as well). The ST was on 16 inch wheels with a bigger tire. I couldn't get car weight for each one but I believe they are within a couple of hundred pounds of each other.

Please do not underestimate how much tires contributes to braking. But remember there is a pont when the tire size might help braking but also affect performance (acceleration and robbing power due to increased rotational mass).

You can do a fair deduction that performance pads and shoes plus good tires could easily reduce braking distances on the two drum equipped cars to at least that of the ST and possibly less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts