Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo, I'm sick of the insane brake dust and overall cheap quality of the OE brakes. Now I've been researching here and other sites on what pads to buy, especially for my driving style, which you could say is, very spirited. I cant afford to track days just yet (I plan to) but for now I just want a decent street pad that is low dust and has good performance. as good or better than OE. Any suggestions on brands and where to buy? I was looking at StopTech PostQuiet pads, found them on EdgeAutosport.com. they have ceramic and semi-metallic, I dont know a whole lot about braking power and what not, I'm learning, but idk what type of pad I should get. I noticed the semi-met is better in everything but the operating friction level, but of course idk what that means lol

thoughts anyone? what do you recommend?

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Whatever brand you decide to get, stick with ceramic... They hold up/stop better at higher temps and IMO last longer. They also have less dust, I always just buy the most expensive ceramic pads they have at the auto store (pepboys) and really there isnt much of a price diff. Its worth the extra $ to get ceramic pads that will last longer and perform better than the others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ceramic it is, thanks!

for $110 shipped for front and rear, I guess I cant beat it, especially since i'm using birthday money. still gonna do a little research on this brand, curious as to what other ST owners run

·
Registered
29 Posts
So which pads have did you go with? Looking to replace mine soon as well, though having black wheels have helped me not to notice the brake dust as much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and ordered some StopTech Front/Rear Ceramics. not sure when i will get to install them, but I will definitely post about it when I get to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went ahead and ordered some StopTech Front/Rear Ceramics. not sure when i will get to install them, but I will definitely post about it when I get to it.
Let us know how they hold up! I've been looking into some different pads due to the dust and quality as well. I know EBC is really good.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just had a set of Centric Posi Quiet (made in Thailand; purchased at the Tire Rack) ceramic pads installed on my ST a couple days ago. Still in the break in period, so I haven't really stomped on them yet. So far they seem very comparable to stock stopping power, and are very quiet. It's been rainy and my wheels are still nasty from the stock pad brake dust, so I can't really say if they dust less than stock or not. I'll try to remember to post an update in a few days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im wondering how you guys whove swapped out your pads are doing after using them for a while? How are they holding up? dust? performance?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One point is the harder pads do not work well unless they are heated up. So if all one does is drive on the street, getting the 'full race' ceramic is a terrible mistake. Since with those they never will work very well in the street.

Each driver should get brake pads suitable for his or her own behavior.
And not just what is the most gung ho material.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the Stop Tech pads on a different car and found they didn't offer very good initial bit. I went with Akebono pads on that car and loved them. But they don't offer them for the ST.

EBC was having issues with delaminating. They are suppose to be fixed now.

I've used Hawk HPS before and I'm thinking about them for the ST. May be the Power Stop Z23 too.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I like my carbotech 1521 pads. Go for their autocross pads for a but more performance.

Keep in mind low dust and performance are mutually exclusive.
Thats where the aftermarket comes in= ceramic's,,,,,,,,,

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Thats where the aftermarket comes in= ceramic's,,,,,,,,,
You'll never get the same performance from them.

Just sayin', there's no free lunches. Don't think you'll find a ceramic pad with low dust & noise that offers excellent cold (or even hot) braking performance. If it existed, everyone would be using it...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts

Just sayin', there's no free lunches. Don't think you'll find a ceramic pad with low dust & noise that offers excellent cold (or even hot) braking performance. If it existed, everyone would be using it...
Thats what you need for a dder, & the aftermarket comes in w/ ceramic pads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I switched out my stock pads for the Hawk Ceramics. I've only had them in for a couple days, but so far I like them. Will need some more miles on them to really give a better review.

·
Registered
3 Posts

My Akebono's on my other car come the closest. Very good cold initial bit and get even better when they warm up. No, they are not track pads but I can punish them all day on the Dragon and they never loose performance. Just too bad they aren't made for the ST.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts