Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the the L & R Front Pads, rotors and calipers and I noticed the pads are making contact on the rotors outer most portion. The whole pad is not making contact. Almost half the pad makes contact. Not sure why. I realize that eventually when enough pad wears, that contact will become better, but I want full contact. Any ideas as to why this may be happening. Its occurring on both sides and are identical. Just seems odd.

Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Does your calipers have one or two pistons? Is the piston(s) sideways?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Most pads are are angled or beveled for the way the sliding caliper works. Not the fault of the pads. They make the pads that way to compensate for the way the caliper operates. Some pads don't go to the very edge of the rotor & after some wear there'll be a slight ridge. Nothing to worry about. The main thing is to clean & regrease the caliper slide pins. Make sure the rotor is straight & w/in spec & you use a desent pr of pads. The brake hoses are in good shape, no cracks etc. Use dot3 ford brake fluid & bleed them good.

·
Registered
753 Posts
felixthecat probably got you here.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you're getting really funky pad wear, make sure the retaining clips are on correctly. If they're not, that can happen. I'd say ask me how I know, but it's a little embarrassing, so even if you do, I won't answer. [:D]

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If you're getting really funky pad wear, make sure the retaining clips are on correctly. If they're not, that can happen. I'd say ask me how I know, but it's a little embarrassing, so even if you do, I won't answer. [:D]
I'm thinking that's his problem as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just went through this. I installed clips that were not present on the car I bought. The pads were less than half worn but the calipers rattled over bumps without the clips. The rattle stopped but the pad contact area greatly changed angles and braking was terrible. Ended up doing new pads, slide bolts, caliper boots and bled it out. Stops great now with zero noise ( this system NEEDS the springs) but still doesn't contact the entire disc evident by the slight rust stain. I'm not worried though as its all new stuff and stops fantastic with no noise or warp.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Most of the time the biggest reason why there is an uneven or odd bake pad wear is due to the lack of lubrication on the slid pins. The next reason is bad or missing anti-rattle clips. Now I have seen a loose caliper bracket cause an odd wear issue before.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Haha makes sure the brake clips are on right most YouTube videos get it right.

I've made the same mistake before!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts