Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this is what i have planned. i can find most of the parts. but i'm not too sure on one of them.

1. factory front and rear rotors. (i ahve an advance trac focus, this is impossible to find online without some form of slotting/dimple silliness)

2. pads front and rear. (what is a good set to run on the street and for auto-x?)

3. goodrich stainless lines. (its withing my clas rules and it'll help out my car tons)

4. high temp brake fluid. i need something that can withstand the high temps of racing. the factory stuff wore out after a few lapping days,lol)

so what are the gods of focus brakes' input?
i need something that will work well enough i dont have to putz with it for another year (when it needs new pads again......)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hawks and centrics blanks like the other guys said. I'm switching over to those when the time comes. I'm not too impressed with my EBC dimpled/slotted with greenstuff pads. They work but I now believe it wasn't worth the extra money.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Please do not go the drilled, dimples or slotted rotor route. There are no performance gains doing so for a street driven car. In fact, in most cases you will be spending a lot of money for a performance DECREASE and accelerated wear. Stick with a solid rotor. Centric and Brembo are your best bets. For pads go with the very popular Hawk HPS. Mintex AF's are pretty good as well.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
the factory fluid is a very good fluid. it just absorbs moisture very quickly. Stay away from Castrol GT LMA if you're planning on tracking. THE ATE Super Blue/Amber are good, but too much money as it wears out just as quickly as the motorcraft stuff.

I recomend the motorcraft. remember, when tracking a car it's a good idea to do fluid changes before AND after.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seeings as the stock stuff lasted actually a couple years for abuse i'll get teh motor craft stuff.
and how are the hawk pads on dust.
and dont worry about me getting drilled rotors. already made that mistake.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
With regards to fluids I have to respectively disagree with wickedgrayzx3. Castrol LMA has been used in performance circles for a long time. Its very popular in autocross circles and even more popular in Pro Rally. I used it exclusively in my rally car at the advise of some very experienced rallyists and it never failed me. Another very good and inexpensive fluid is Valvoline's synthetic fluid. Both Castrol and Valvoline have very low water absorption properties which makes them far better for street use than a racing fluid is. Both are readily available at most chain auto parts stores.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
seeings as the stock stuff lasted actually a couple years for abuse i'll get teh motor craft stuff.
and how are the hawk pads on dust.
and dont worry about me getting drilled rotors. already made that mistake.
Better stopping powah and less dust. Almost as similiar to your EBC Pads.

I have the SVT Brake kit on my car. I can't remember if the Advance Trac actually has the SVT Rear Brake set up or not. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have the Centric Rotors and Hawk Pads and i will have to say even at a track event, they held up nice and i didn't have to worry about brake fade. I mean come on they're brand new for cryin out loud! I was a little worried at first, but Centric Rotors gained a lot of respect from me out on the track. I used to have non-SVT regular Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pads and liked them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes disco. it came with svt rear calipers and discs. but stock size fronts

which means i think both are 250mm.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you upgraded to the svt front set-up would it put you out of your class? just thinking if you are already buying pads and rotors maybe you could find the svt spindles? just a thought.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hawk HPS are daily drive friendly, but get mean fast when you push the pedal a little further, or heat them up. Highly recommended. Ford has a performance brake fluid for fairly cheap. I have some around here somewhere i'll try to post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont really want to do svt rotors because then i'd take away my cars uniqueness. it came this way stock. and brakes pretty well even with burnt fluid. lol.
as for throwing me out of my class, no it wouldnt, or at least i think it wouldnt.
and i could use the get mean fast the way people drive around here.
thanks for the link and i'll get on getting that stuff

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Ford heavy duty truck fluid was for a long time the first choice of grassroots racers because of its high wet boiling point. Unfortunately Ford got wind of this and has raised the price substantially.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol thats awesome.....
we figure it out ans they eff it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts