Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I was on the way to work this morning and when I was stopping at a light I heard a "pop" and my brake pedal went almost to the floor. (not a fun way to start a day).

By the next light though my brake pedal was back to normal. I went out at lunch and looked around as much as I could, but see no leaking fluid at any tire, and the master cylinder is still full.

I'm going to pull all four wheels tonight and take a look, but does anyone know anything else I should look at, or have heard of this before?

There is no ABS, or brake light on, BTW.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Brakes are important enough that if that happened to me- I'd seriously consider replacing the MC ASAP. If you do, follow the bench bleeding procedure. Those who don't will be flogged, and then sacked. [smackbum]

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I'd have a look at the master cylinder to brake pedal push rod connector as well as each wheel. If it "returned to normal", I wouldn't expect an internal MC seal problem.

·
Registered
520 Posts
if you heard a pop then it's probally not the master cly.
pump and look for fluid leaks.
jack up all 4 wheels and press the brake down and hold if it creeps to the floor then it's internal seals. While holding the pedal down have an asistant try to spin the wheels if a wheel is not holding then look in that direction lines, wheel cyl, etc.
look for fluid under the master at the booster. you can undo the 2 bolts but not the lines and pull it forward to see if there is fluid at the back leaking at the seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After pulling all the wheels and looking at everything else, I believe it was caused by the rt inside brake pad (the friction material came off the backer), that would explain why it went soft (until the "pad" contacted the rotor again). then returned to normal. It's odd that it didn't sound like a normal "pad is gone" type of grinding.

So, I've replaced the pads / discs up front, and the shoes in back, going to finish up tomorrow and take it for a drive.

I'll post back if it happens again.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What so it wasn't the master WOW I never would have guessed.
Gold star for you for doing actual Diagnostics instead of wallet Diagnostics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts