Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My brakes seem to feel a little spongy at present. and when testing the pedal it seems to be making a whoosing noise on each press. Never heard this before. there is no fluid around the brake pedal. but there is slight moisture on the cluch pedal. so that would indicate a leaking clutch master cylinder i know. ( as told by one of the menbers Sailor). But! is the whoosing noise normal from the brake pedal!.[wrenchin]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

You'll get some "whooshing" at each brake application from the vacuum booster, usually not a lot from light application & quiet enough not to notice in normal driving. Car turned off it gets obvious, but only for a couple applications 'till the vacuum is gone.

Easier way to check for a soft pedal due to a hydraulic problem is to check it with the car off & the vacuum bled off (press pedal repeatedly 'till it gets firmer & whoosh stops). If it still feels squishy then, it's time to start looking for leaks or other brake problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Again sailor.
Im not sure what is meant by a vacuum booster. All there is in my car is a matal rod attached to the pedal that goes into a rubber concertina boot behined the pedal this seems to go into the firewall (this is what makes the swooshing noise when pedal is pressed. You can only hear this when car is not running. Anyhow when parked and switched off, if you pump the pedal several times it buids up and stays solid. sound like i need to have the back break shoes check out, don't i

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
If its not a leak its normal. Sailor gave you a great way to test it. If you want to get rid of the spongyness get SS braided brake lines instead of that old expanding rubber.

I did that to just my fronts and it helped a lot.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Builds up & stays solid once vacuum is released by pushing the pedal means you don't have a problem with a leak.

The vacuum booster is the large round thing between the firewall & the brake master cyl. under the hood. It's what gives you power brakes.

Once the engine is running you have vacuum, which is the power for the booster. Brake pedal will get softer as vacuum builds up when you start the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts